Cooper's Hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Miss Chicken, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2008
    I recently put two ~13 week old hens in an outdoor run (high fence, no cover/top). They have been there for 2 days. Late afternoon today we saw a Cooper's hawk sitting on the fence of their pen. We scared it off but wondering if a hawk this size could take a chicken?

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Yes, a coopershawk fatally injured a full grown Rhodes Island Red of mine. Put a netting on top of your run to keep this hawk out.
    Coopershawks don't swoop down. They DROP down onto the hen. They will also drop into the run and chase the hen. They will even go into a chicken coop and help themselves.
    Please take this threat seriously before you lose a beloved hen as we did. God bless.

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Cooper's Hawks don't swoop down on their prey like other hawks do, they get down and chase after them on the ground. Especially if they are in a contained area and the hawk can corner the prey easily. I would put some sort of cover on your run so the hawk can't get to your chickens.

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I lost two hens to a cooper hawk. We bought fruit tree netting and secured it over our run. We used zip ties to secure to the 6 foot fencing. The netting has lasted for 3 seasons. No more losses. The hens they killed were too big for the hawk to carry away. Literally sat in the run and ate it!! I would come home and find the carcass. Horrible!! Netting has fixed the problem. We may have to replace this year....we will aprise the situation in the fall. But the netting was 40 dollars for enough to cover the run. 40 dollars for no losses, spread over 3 years is money well spent.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I think the Cooper's are worse than the red-tails. I have a family of three Cooper's hawks circling my coop every day this past week. I just wish they would go away!

6. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Quote:They are way more prone to get into unsecured runs thats for sure! We have several of them here that get incredibly brazen during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by