Cooper's or Sharp Shinned Hawk?

I looked it up on google and compared the pictures. I didn’t want to give you the wrong answer. Guessing is fun, but if you know what kind it is. Fish and game may let you shoot them or remove them for you if you can’t.
pretty sure they are covered by the migratory bird act, and my backyard flock, while family to ME, wouldn't qualify for a permit. But thank you. I just want to identify what kind of bird I scream and cuss at. :)

Well your probably right. It just looked just like the pictures I pulled up on google. I am no expert. I never claimed to be, but to put an end to this mystery. I can go Monday to fish and game and ask what it is. I have to apply for a license to shoot the hawks on my property anyways.

It’s not a red tailed hawk but it might be a red shouldered hawk.
I am slightly confident that it is not a red shouldered -- only because when I watched it fly away, the underparts of it's wings were more solid-colored. But, what kept me from being certain of Cooper's hawk (which I lean towards) is that it didn't appear capped.

I am slightly confident that it is not a red shouldered -- only because when I watched it fly away, the underparts of it's wings were more solid-colored.
They’re so hard to identify cause the chest looks like a red shouldered hawk with more solid brown than any of the pics I’ve seen of Cooper’s hawks.

pretty sure they are covered by the migratory bird act, and my backyard flock, while family to ME, wouldn't qualify for a permit. But thank you. I just want to identify what kind of bird I scream and cuss at. :)
If you happen to live in Texas you can apply for a license to get rid of them. If you live in another state. Fish and game may be able to help you out.

I am betting you want that hawk around. More likely than not, if it has a nest nearby, then it will drive hawks that are a problem away.

Red-shouldered Hawk
I don't think so -- he's killed one of my little leghorns, and my roo fought him (and won) about a month ago -- it's just a matter of time before he kills again. They've been in their covered run 24/07, until recently, when I brought my roo back out after mending -- and even with me out there, here he is. He is relentless.

Back
Top Bottom