coops built out of cedar.

Quote:
Well, my thoughts are all based on woodworking experience and theory. Once I get some federal funding from the stimulus package, and 5 years of testing and documentation, I will post my findings for the world to see
wink.png

lau.gif
money from stimulus....
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
I agree and, correct me if I am wrong, but we are also talking about two different woods here. The cedar that is used for cedar chests is aromatic cedar while the cedar used in building is western cedar. While they both contain the oils, the aromatic stuff has far more oil in it..

I don't know.

"They are also grown for their durable (decay-resistant) scented wood,resistance to weather, such as shakes and shingles. Cedar wood and cedar oil is known to be a natural repellent to moths,[16] hence cedar is a popular lining for modern-day closets in which woolens are stored. This specific use of cedar is mentioned in The Iliad (Book 24), referring to the cedar-roofed or lined storage chamber where Priam goes to fetch treasures to be used as ransom. Cedar is also commonly used to make shoe trees as it can absorb moisture and de-odorise." From wiki.

There are a bunch of species, but none known as western cedar (unless you go to the Home Depot).

"There are five taxa of Cedrus, assigned according to taxonomic opinion to two to four different species. A majority of the modern sources[5][6][7][8][3][9][10] support the four species concept:

* Deodar or Deodar Cedar, Cedrus deodara (Roxb.) G.Don. Western Himalaya. Leaves bright green to pale glaucous green, 25–60 mm; cones with slightly ridged scales.
* Lebanon Cedar or Cedar of Lebanon Cedrus libani. Mountains of the Mediterranean region, from Turkey and Lebanon west to Morocco. Leaves dark green to glaucous blue-green, 8–25 mm; cones with smooth scales; two subspecies:
o Lebanon Cedar Cedrus libani subsp. libani Mountains of Lebanon, western Syria and south-central Turkey. Leaves dark green to glaucous blue-green, 10–25 mm.
o Turkish Cedar Cedrus libani subsp. stenocoma (O.Schwarz) Davis. Mountains of southwest Turkey. Leaves glaucous blue-green, 8–25 mm.
* Cyprus Cedar Cedrus brevifolia (Hook.f.) A.Henry (syn. Cedrus libani subsp. brevifolia (Hook.f.) Meikle). Mountains of Cyprus. Leaves glaucous blue-green, 8–20 mm.
* Atlas Cedar Cedrus atlantica (Endl.) Manetti ex Carrière (syn. Cedrus libani subsp. atlantica (Endl.) Batt. & Trab.). Atlas mountains in Morocco & Algeria. Leaves dark green to glaucous blue-green, 10–25 mm."

I still think that if you have proper ventilation, planks are not going to be a problem. (but don't forget to vote for the rep. or senator who will give me millions to study this
lol.png

I emailed the guy and he said he has heard the same thing about cedar but that his research shows that the cedar planks don't give off as much smell as cedar chips and that proper ventilation is the key to prevent respitory problems. The bigger coop he sells for $650 and its 6'x8' and about 7' foot tall. I'm going to call him tomorrow and see if I can set up a time to go see the coops. My current coop is okay but it doesn't seem to keep out water very well and the floor keeps getting wet. I can't seem to seal it up good enough. I also would like something bigger.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom