Coops -Can I have too much space?

Sounds like great birds to start a flock with, I have some wyandottes (silver lace) and two light brahmas. My favorite of my hens is my Buff Orpington though! Good luck.

I do like the Orpingtons and might just get a pair of the Partridge Orpingtons instead of the Partridge Brahmas for some more variety. Its still in flux so nothing firm yet. Do the Orpingtons lay well for you?

So far my BOrp girl gives me about 5 eggs a week, and she just started laying! She also lays some of the largest eggs so far, they are a peachy color and almost round!!! They are just shy of a store bought Xlarge white. My Brahm and Wyandotte are 10 weeks younger so I can't compare them yet!

Agree. You cannot have too much space, especially if you live in a cold climate. We built a six by 8 coop in the spring. Now I realize they do not have enough floor space for when the snow is a foot deep. Tomorrow we are cleaning out the shed to convert it to a second chicken coop. Of course, I'm totally hooked and now have 12 chicks in addition to our original ten hens. We have a mix of hens, but the red sex links are the friendliest by far (sometimes too much so...they will come into the house looking for treats!) and the best layers too. Won't get barred rocks ever again. What a bunch of chickens they are.

Agree. You cannot have too much space, especially if you live in a cold climate. We built a six by 8 coop in the spring. Now I realize they do not have enough floor space for when the snow is a foot deep. Tomorrow we are cleaning out the shed to convert it to a second chicken coop. Of course, I'm totally hooked and now have 12 chicks in addition to our original ten hens. We have a mix of hens, but the red sex links are the friendliest by far (sometimes too much so...they will come into the house looking for treats!) and the best layers too. Won't get barred rocks ever again. What a bunch of chickens they are.

I have one little 16 week Red Star, she is a sweet girl. I am considering Cukoo Marans in the spring, all the classic looks of a BRock with lovely dark eggs. I may also splurge on a RCMaran because they are supposed to have those beautiful dark chocolate eggs.

Back
Top Bottom