Coops, Chickens & Goats

some lousy pictures. doesn't tell much of a story, but may be useful reference.

FB_IMG_1625176790355.jpg
FB_IMG_1625176904131.jpg
FB_IMG_1625176922869.jpg
FB_IMG_1625176995071.jpg

Goats in the old (raised) hen house. they didn't like the leaf litter ...
FB_IMG_1625177147714.jpg
FB_IMG_1625177156520.jpg

Not even kids get through that?
That would be subjective. My dairy goats' kids are 3 times the size of a pygmy kid.
Plus, my does and ewes are put into a clean rested pasture as soon as they come out of the birthing jugs.
The kids are rotated through the pastures with their moms, followed by the ducks and geese. The chickens can go anywhere but prefer the eaten down area.
The buck and ram are on the other side of the driveway in good electric fence.
Each pasture has a field shelter for the rumenant animals and the waterfowl are easily herded in at dusk.
That said, it will take us about a year to completely finish building all this, because we moved here pretty recently. I'm still making do in some areas.

That would be subjective. My dairy goats' kids are 3 times the size of a pygmy kid.
Plus, my does and ewes are put into a clean rested pasture as soon as they come out of the birthing jugs.
The kids are rotated through the pastures with their moms, followed by the ducks and geese. The chickens can go anywhere but prefer the eaten down area.
The buck and ram are on the other side of the driveway in good electric fence.
Each pasture has a field shelter for the rumenant animals and the waterfowl are easily herded in at dusk.
That said, it will take us about a year to completely finish building all this, because we moved here pretty recently. I'm still making do in some areas.
Well, I’ll let you know because I’m going to give it a shot!

The home barn for winter will be an 8 x 12 chicken coop with an 8 x 12 run in shed for the ewes and does. They will share ventilation but it will be moving up into the clerestory area in the middle. That way the chicken dust is trapped by the airflow.

I know very little about the needs of goats, but I presume that, like chickens, ventilation and predator-protection are critical.

Gambrel roofs are notoriously difficult to ventilate well, but top-hinged windows will go a long way to provide draft-free airflow. :)
Is there anything structural I can add to make for better ventilation?
I’m up for anything ……. I think …..

Is there anything structural I can add to make for better ventilation?
I’m up for anything ……. I think …..
Also replace the solid doors with ventilation. With goats I would make a door out of 2 pallets... so a door with strong wooden horizontal slats, with maybe 2 inch gaps between the slats up until about 4 feet up, then framed open. Entire thing covered in strong hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom