Coops for exhibition poultry

LarryTX

Songster
6 Years
Sep 23, 2016
North-central Texas
My granddaughter and I have been showing Modern Game Bantams for several years. Now she wants to also show Old English Game Bantams. We are looking for ideas to buy or build pens to keep these Old English in separate pens to keep rather from ruining feathers while deciding which ones to show.

My granddaughter and I have been showing Modern Game Bantams for several years. Now she wants to also show Old English Game Bantams. We are looking for ideas to buy or build pens to keep these Old English in separate pens to keep rather from ruining feathers while deciding which ones to show.

Hello,
I also breed and show modern game and old English game bantams. I personally coop my birds in the 4-Hole exhibitions pens that are most commonly used at shows. They are very handy to coop each show bird individually to prepare for upcoming shows, are portable, and easy to dismantle if necessary. They are also great to use as drop pens in the yard if you don’t want specific birds running loose (I put my show birds out in these so they can get grass and fresh air without getting dirty.) I currently have two of these pens, and during show season I have them stacked on top of each other with plywood attached to the bottom of each, as seen at shows with double stacked pens. I have other cooping, so only my show birds are put into the exhibition pens. I cannot remember the company/brand where I purchased these pens off the top of my head, I will have to check when I get home.
I also know of many seasoned exhibitors who prepare and coop their show birds in this method.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hello,
I also breed and show modern game and old English game bantams. I personally coop my birds in the 4-Hole exhibitions pens that are most commonly used at shows. They are very handy to coop each show bird individually to prepare for upcoming shows, are portable, and easy to dismantle if necessary. They are also great to use as drop pens in the yard if you don’t want specific birds running loose (I put my show birds out in these so they can get grass and fresh air without getting dirty.) I currently have two of these pens, and during show season I have them stacked on top of each other with plywood attached to the bottom of each, as seen at shows with double stacked pens. I have other cooping, so only my show birds are put into the exhibition pens. I cannot remember the company/brand where I purchased these pens off the top of my head, I will have to check when I get home.
I also know of many seasoned exhibitors who prepare and coop their show birds in this method.

Do you have any issues with keeping the tail feathers in good condition? This seems to the primary issue that I did help with.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but this is my main setup. The run is split in 2 for silkies and layers.
DSC_0887.JPG

Do you have any issues with keeping the tail feathers in good condition? This seems to the primary issue that I did help with.
Generally, no. I put the perch in the center, so when they roost the feathers aren’t getting caught in the wires. I did have one rooster who repeatedly roosted on the very edge no matter how I positioned the perch, so I just used some plywood to cover the bottom half of the pens so his feathers wouldn’t get caught in the wires.

Hello,

We are showing Birchen and Silver Blue Moderns and just started a male line of Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantams. They are so different but both are fun in their own way.

We are showing Birchen and Silver Blue Moderns and just started a male line of Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantams. They are so different but both are fun in their own way.
Most definitely!
I just cut back on all my varieties so I could really focus on quality, and am just raising brown reds and lemon blues in the moderns, and brown reds in the old English. Both breeds are very friendly and entertaining to be around.

Back
Top Bottom