coops for large flocks???

WaddleWaddle

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Culpeper, VA
I currently have 11 hens and have 22 chicks on order for the spring. I also have 3 Muscovy drakes and have 18 ducklings on order as well. We are planning our building but when I do online searches I am not seeing many photos/plans for large buildings. How do you all house your large flocks? What size building do you have? I would also love to see photos.

I currently have 11 hens and have 22 chicks on order for the spring. I also have 3 Muscovy drakes and have 18 ducklings on order as well. We are planning our building but when I do online searches I am not seeing many photos/plans for large buildings. How do you all house your large flocks? What size building do you have? I would also love to see photos.

I am not sure if you are planning to house your chickens and ducks in separate housing but many people recommend separate quarters (ducks can be really messy!). Since you have 11 hens now then you must have an established coop. You could certainly buy a shed kit or have one of the big box stores deliver a premade shed; Yet, this will be pricey. I would consider building an extensions to your existing coop. If you are handy with basic construction, then several 4x4's and paneling will help build large enclosed areas. I started with a basic coop but I keep adding to the structure as my flock increased in size. I have 30 chickens now and I will add another 6x8 extension in the Spring to house another 15 or so birds. You can save a ton of money if you build yourself. I build in the Spring or Summer months since Winter construction is a pain due to snow/mud/cold. Hope this helps!

Started with a basic build and a handful of chickens

Each Spring I increased the coop size and added chickens (this houses 30 chickens)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom