Coops for Non-Carpenters

I am no carpenter either, my coop which was supposed to be 8'x7' came out 8'1"x6'10"x8'2"x7'1" so it is more than a little "off", but then so am I.
lau.gif
I sunk four 4x4 posts in the ground and wrapped it in a combo of plywood and hardware cloth. I topped it off with 2x4 straight rafters and tin for a roof. I used a 4' stair riser with 1x6 steps nailed to it for a ladder to the roost. It took me a couple of months working on Saturdays. It has a dirt floor and the girls like that. My spring project will be to add a run, once again a study on how to saw the boards all wrong. Study the coop section, take a deep breath and jump in. Have fun with it.

Just jump in! The water is fine. No, really you can do it. With a few simple tools and alot of reserch from the internet you should be able to build something to be proud of. BYC is a great place to start. By spring your confidence and plans will be right on track. So, roll up your sleeves and get busy. OR, buy a pre-made shed from Lowes. But the fun is in doing it yourself!!

Moms house was built by the 1890's, nothing is straight, level or plumb.

Considering our new chicken house was mostly built by a 48 & a 87 year old pair of women, it is a lot closer to straight, plumb and level than the house....

And we are not going to worry about it and the chickens don't care either.

If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. We designed/built our coop using "in-progress" photos from this site. There is a wealth of information here and lots of people happy to help you.

If building something from scratch isn't your thing, find a sturdy dog house on craigslist. Paint it up pretty, put it up on 4x4 legs, wire in the bottom, cut ventilation and make some doors. You're in the game.

I found this post from a while back, it had some interesting ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66456&p=1

I
am planning on using a 10' x 10' canopy I have hanging around, with 2" x 8" boards around the bottom (so I can use the DLM), and wire fencing all around. Some tarps will keep the wind down, and it will be in a protected corner of the yard. One of my favorites is one I saw that is a truck campershell on top of a run. Very creative, and made with mostly found materials.

The more threads I read here, the more potential coops I see laying around in my and other people's backyards.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom