Coops

How many coops do YOU have?

• Total voters
One correct size coop is the ideal norm,,,,,,, unless
a,) you intend to breed.
b) you need to separate roosters.
c) you intend to raise eggers, and broilers, or other fowl like ducks ETC.

What is your thinking wanting 3 coops???

:highfive:
Really come to think of it . . .working on the first one now I dod not realize the expense nor anticioate the enjiyment of raising chicks. I purchased first brood in July from Tractor Supply and I just do not/did not have $1,000 to build a coop. From what I am reading to house 30ish chickens I would need AT LEAST $3k. I'm only a part time worker and don't have it like that, unfortunately. But I wanna own chickens. So I figure have more than one coop and come up woth the funds incrementally. 🤷🏾

At the moment, I have:

- My main coop, 8x26 with an 8x6 wing off the side
- The corner coop, 4x6
- The big box coop, 8x8, empty because it's in need of renovation but hopefully will be occupied before winter; I am considering splitting it internally to be two 4x8 coops as well
- 'Rooster Row' which is either three 4x8 coops or can be divided into up to six 4x4 coops for individual roosters or small bachelor flocks

I'd like to build an 8x8 or 8x12 hoop-style tractor to use as a meat bird growout coop and maybe a growout coop for my Cochin bantams when there aren't meaties in it as well, but it hasn't been in the budget yet.

Actually, my ideal situation would be a big barn to put all the birds in instead of spreading them out like this, but that's definitely not in the budget right now. 🤭

Really come to think of it . . .working on the first one now I dod not realize the expense nor anticioate the enjiyment of raising chicks. I purchased first brood in July from Tractor Supply and I just do not/did not have $1,000 to build a coop. From what I am reading to house 30ish chickens I would need AT LEAST $3k. I'm only a part time worker and don't have it like that, unfortunately. But I wanna own chickens. So I figure have more than one coop and come up woth the funds incrementally. 🤷🏾
I know all too well ,,, the price of building materials at current market prices :barnie
Have 2 suggestions for you to consider.
Consider getting your supplies from secondary sources,. Discounted prices on overstock, or slightly damaged, or out of date items. You would have to see if any in your area near enough. Habitat ReStores is one such place to try.
Also check Craig's' for materials that peeps no longer need. In my area , there is also a service called Free-cycle. Worth looking into.

Build what you can now. (size you can afford),, But build in such a way, that adding on to,, (extending) will be easy. I can further explain this if needed.

One to two, depending how you count. It was two coops. I thought they would be "homed" to their coop. I didn't know that they would eventually merge into one big flock. They all use the one coop now and the second as some sort of chicken play house. The second is still functional and can still be used for brooding/hospital/jail, but not really a coop per se. Maybe for some meaties, but I really like dual purpose birds.

I know all too well ,,, the price of building materials at current market prices :barnie
Have 2 suggestions for you to consider.
Consider getting your supplies from secondary sources,. Discounted prices on overstock, or slightly damaged, or out of date items. You would have to see if any in your area near enough. Habitat ReStores is one such place to try.
Also check Craig's' for materials that peeps no longer need. In my area , there is also a service called Free-cycle. Worth looking into.

Build what you can now. (size you can afford),, But build in such a way, that adding on to,, (extending) will be easy. I can further explain this if needed.
Thank you, will do. I tell ya sometimes living in the "kun"try is not the business. We have nothing . . no bowling alley, no Uber or decent bus transpo, no big feed stores blah blah blah. I used to use CL all the time in rural central FL. Don't know WHY I forget about it here. Good looking o u t!

Back
Top Bottom