Copper Maran pullets laying a light colored eggs

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
I bought some hatchery black copper marans and there recently started laying, instead of laying dark brown eggs there laying LIGHT brown eggs does that mean they aren't purbred BCM pullets?

Lots of possibilities. If they came from a hatchery they are probably pure something. They might be mislabeled and not marans at all. They could be BCM that have been breed strictly for quantity and are of lower quality. If you post clear close up pictures of the birds and the eggs we might be able to help find out what is going on. Without seeing what you’re seeing all we can do is guess.

Lots of possibilities. If they came from a hatchery they are probably pure something. They might be mislabeled and not marans at all. They could be BCM that have been breed strictly for quantity and are of lower quality. If you post clear close up pictures of the birds and the eggs we might be able to help find out what is going on. Without seeing what you’re seeing all we can do is guess.
Ok!I'll see if I can get photos and photos of the eggs.Thank you !

Attachments

• 20240107_171034.jpg
    20240107_171034.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240107_171026.jpg
    20240107_171026.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240108_154934.jpg
    20240108_154934.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 6
Like said, they do look like BCMs. The last photo, girl with leg showing? I see slate colored leg with pink ish foot. That is correct for Black Copper Marans.
A note on your egg color. Some of mine do lay lighter colors at point of lay and after molting and then they get darker as they get their ink jets fired up.
Here's an example.
Angels 1st two eggs...
IMG_20231129_131136.jpg

And here's her first 18 eggs....
IMG_20231225_114802.jpg

Edited to add.... The 1st few eggs she lays could also be wonky in shape and size. The 6 eggs in the back are her first left to right and then she gets her shape and color situated.
Hope this helps.
We have a great Marans thread here going, if you feel like joining the conversations there with lots of knowledge and experts in everything Marans.
Link to thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-thread-breeding-to-the-sop.1122465/page-109

Last edited:
I agree with the others they do look like black copper marans. The rooster pretty much rules out them being a hybrid like mystic or Midnight Majesty Marans. MMMs aren’t technically Marans but a cross breed BCM rooster and barred rock hen. The MMM can look a lot like black copper Marans But the roosters are barred and can’t be mistaken for Black copper marans.

Hopefully as the mature they will lay closer to the color you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom