Copper marans chicks behaviour

ScottyGill

Songster
Jun 22, 2019
Dunoon, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
My blue/black French copper marans chicks are 4 weeks old now. It definitely looks like the black one may be a cockerel. The chicks from last hatch who are now happily loving outdoors were so different. The CCL’s cockerel and pullet were so forward and inquisitive and the CCL/maran cross held back at first but she is now as friendly as the others. They all come for cuddles. But these three seem a little behind, just starting to jump on the bars now, none will come forward, none will take any treats, and they scream like we’re murdering them when we transport them to their outside run. I read they are calm friendly birds. Something will seriously have to change. :lau

We’re starting the process of integration. We have a large coop and very large run (I never thought I’d only get 3 out of the 12 original eggs, so naive was I until I found this group) the plan is to put them in their run from this week with the others, placing the run inside the big run, last week we just let them get used to being outside in a different part of the garden as everything’s terrifies them!! I have the most wimpy cockerel if it is and not just a girl with a giant comb (having read that can be a possibility)

I’m hoping as they will all Be Young together they will sort it out without too much trouble and possibly in spring add a couple of point of lay pullets. My understanding is cockerels growing up together can work out who is top and who is not! None of my neighbours mind if we have a cockerel, oh I love this wee town. I am entranced watching my CCL personality develop, he’s such a lovely boy though I do know there are no guarantees so we are prepared to deal with any aggression but are also educating ourselves about flock behaviour. I truly hope it all works out.

Attachments

• F987DBEF-37A5-423A-9F4A-0564240B4DD4.jpeg
    F987DBEF-37A5-423A-9F4A-0564240B4DD4.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 87B01FD7-19B5-49C9-A166-403204BCC4F8.jpeg
    87B01FD7-19B5-49C9-A166-403204BCC4F8.jpeg
    803.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 6E44C64E-D2CE-4D1D-BE58-AE93175095AA.jpeg
    6E44C64E-D2CE-4D1D-BE58-AE93175095AA.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 14
  • C22B0B18-4CBC-416D-A4C4-099B156B75D4.jpeg
    C22B0B18-4CBC-416D-A4C4-099B156B75D4.jpeg
    774.1 KB · Views: 17
Thank you. Yes my other wee ones went mad for it. I want to be able to encourage them to go places or come. I did notice this morning as I took them from the brooder to their nursery run that they didn’t scream as much. Getting there. Now the unfriendly chick I had before is the one who comes and sits on my knee every morning for a cuddle. Sometimes I have to say enough already! I never imagined it would be her.

That is fantastic! I find they go in cycles. Some of the skittish or disinterested become the ones that follow for attention the most.

My group of rare breeds are spazzing freaks. Mostly because of the Spitzhauben. When one bird freaks out, they all freak out. And the Spitz are super flighty. I keep threatening to ban any breed except for Orpingtons lol. They are so friendly and easy.

That is fantastic! I find they go in cycles. Some of the skittish or disinterested become the ones that follow for attention the most.

My group of rare breeds are spazzing freaks. Mostly because of the Spitzhauben. When one bird freaks out, they all freak out. And the Spitz are super flighty. I keep threatening to ban any breed except for Orpingtons lol. They are so friendly and easy.

They totally ignored scrambled egg my older chicks finished that off. But today I have observed they are all hanging around longingly looking through to where the big ones are. Last few days they ignored their existence. Now it seems they have woken up to the fact there’s a bigger exciting world. They were having big fights amongst themselves last night about who was getting to brood where so hoping it all goes without too much drama at the weekend but am not risking introducing them to big ones yet as here on my own. I want my husband to be around.

Back
Top Bottom