Corid and Terramycin together?

skidud

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Can I treat with Corid and Terramycin in the same water mix? If not, can I dose sick peachicks with Corid somehow? I've lost 2 in the last 3 days and the third is acting sick now too. I'm looking for a quick answer not a diagnosis because I need to act fast.

For those who will want the details:

They are new to me within the last 4 days. The seller said his flock is healthy but I know he's having some issues as well, whether he realizes it or not. They are 6 to 8 weeks old and were on the ground with pheasants, turkeys and other chicks (no chickens) in a large outdoor cage so at this point I can't rule out anything (at least in my mind). I've just wormed the last chick with Safe-Gaurd and put the Terramycin in his drink. No bloody but more white, kind of runny poo. The second one died this morning and I noticed his nostrils had a little fluid running out of them but. None of them showed any signs of wheezing or gasping and I can't hear anything on the last one when I hold him against my ear. The others were just lethargic and fluffed up one day and dead the next. Now the only remaining one is starting to act the same way. VERY VERY sickening.

Last edited:
No meds cannot be mixed in the same container. However you can mix 2 separate containers for meds. The problem is if you are treating for cocci, they need that water, and vice versa with the Terramycin. Best to decide which one to treat.

I was afraid of that. Can I give him the Corid mix in an oral solution? Is the problem having both in his system or both in the same water?

No meds cannot be mixed in the same container. However you can mix 2 separate containers for meds. The problem is if you are treating for cocci, they need that water, and vice versa with the Terramycin. Best to decide which one to treat.
I have put both meds and amprolium in the same water with no harm to my birds. I used Duramycin-10 another tetracycline drug. There was no interaction between them at all. Cocci went away and no secondary infections. It doesn't matter if you use one or two containers, it is all going to end up in the same place.

Just because you tried it and had no adverse reactions, you are lucky, but shouldn't be advising other people to do it. Yes it ends up in the crop together, but mixing two meds in the same container is not recommended. You can put it in two containers.

The problem to answer your question is that corid is not supposed to be mixed with anything, not even vinegar or vitamins. You can still give them both, just make sure they are drinking enough of it.

Just because you tried it and had no adverse reactions, you are lucky, but shouldn't be advising other people to do it. Yes it ends up in the crop together, but mixing two meds in the same container is not recommended. You can put it in two containers.
Please read the Merk Vet Guide. It's right there in black and white. The only time you would have to keep antibiotics separate from another drug is if there is going to be an interaction between them. With amprolium there isn't. It is a thiamine blocker and is not affected by tetracycline. Please look it up and you will find I am correct with this.

Yes,my information from the Amprolium website and my vet is,do not combine any other medicines like antibiotics and feed additives as there is a incompatibility issues.

I mix Corid and Oxytetracycline in water for particularly intense infections of cocci. I have not observed obvious problems, it simply has not been demonstrated safe and track record for mixing until proven safe is to not mix. Solution needs to be kept fresh since some cross reactivity may be taking place weakening one or both medications. With more intense cocci infections the damage to digestive tract by the cocci appears to promote secondary infections that can kill as well.

Yes,my information from the Amprolium website and my vet is,do not combine any other medicines like antibiotics and feed additives as there is a incompatibility issues.
I'm sorry, but Merks says there isn't and if you have chicks on medicated feed and they need an antibiotic, do you take them off the medicated feed? It is always a good thing to err on the side of caution, but until I see something that says no, you cannot do it, I will continue to advise the way I am. I have done this repeatedly with my own birds. I don't believe it is luck we are talking about here. Feed additives, yes, especially if it is another dosing of amprolium or added vitamins. Both could and most probably would negate the Corid treatment. A sulpha drug could cause problems though as amprolium has some of the sulpha qualities in it.

Back
Top Bottom