Corid clarification

luvs2garden

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
Queen Creek, Arizona
Hi, I am new to this forum but have read posts for several years. My question is on Corid. My vet had me give it to my hens for 21 days. She then said to lay off for 21 days. I called the manufacturer and they said there were no field studies on hens with Corid so they could not give me any withdrawal recommendations. In some of the posts here I have seen that there is no withdrawal at all. So my question is, where does everyone get their information? Has anyone seen any adverse effects eating the eggs soon after you've completed the drug?

Hi, I am new to this forum but have read posts for several years. My question is on Corid. My vet had me give it to my hens for 21 days. She then said to lay off for 21 days. I called the manufacturer and they said there were no field studies on hens with Corid so they could not give me any withdrawal recommendations. In some of the posts here I have seen that there is no withdrawal at all. So my question is, where does everyone get their information? Has anyone seen any adverse effects eating the eggs soon after you've completed the drug?
I have used corid 9.6%....9.55cc in the water for 5 days no egg toss although some prefer to, if you are selling the eggs you need to be aware that some people could be allergic to the Corid. have not given for 21 days though so I am not sure about that dosage.

I was using 2 ml to the gallon for 21 days. I've been off for 10 days and tossing eggs. I'm just thinking maybe I can start collection after 14 days. Eggs are for personal/family use.

Last edited:

Sound like you got hold of somebody that didn't have a better answer (there's been tons of field studies; otherwise, it wouldn't be permitted for use ~'-)

Corid is amprolium. Their website is http://www.corid.com.

I start w/ the manufacturer, but then search University and Government resources. For example, the following link …

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9561697

… is a PubMed.gov study on the residual activity of anticoccidial drugs (including Amprolium) in chickens after withdrawal of medicated feeds.

Here's one of my typically long-winded 'findings of fact' about Amprolium in another post of mine …

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ting-red-dots-and-drinking-really-cheap-vodka

… even if my words ain't worth readin' the video is only a minute or so long … lots of fun, and it worked wonders for the development of my keets ~'-)

I contacted Merial veterinary staff who manufacturers Corid. I believe they must have been referring to the fact that they have not done any studies because they developed it for calves. Interesting that they didn't share this info or know about it! I did see your post and the information at the Nutrena site. I have noticed that most of the data has to do with broilers and meat production but again there are a few sentences on eggs as well. So once the eggs are almost gone from the gift from my neighbor I am going to start collecting again.

I contacted Merial veterinary staff who manufacturers Corid. I believe they must have been referring to the fact that they have not done any studies because they developed it for calves. Interesting that they didn't share this info or know about it! I did see your post and the information at the Nutrena site. I have noticed that most of the data has to do with broilers and meat production but again there are a few sentences on eggs as well. So once the eggs are almost gone from the gift from my neighbor I am going to start collecting again.

I would collect the others, boil 'em, and feed 'em to the chickens that gave 'em.

As you can see from my post about Amprolium, I'm a bit paranoid over the inclusion of any that isn't (or doesn't become) natural. And, despite the fact they allow us to use it, but still claim antibiotic-free? Amprolium is reported to contain Bambermycin, which is an antibiotic complex containing moenomycin A and C. Which, really, is most likely no big deal at all.

And, you'll have to fill your neighbor's egg basket w/ somethin' equally nice (can't send it back empty ~'-)

Thank you CowcreekGeek. I also use natural methods when I can. I plan to research this board more on more natural feeds and cures. Any one have any thoughts on all the GMO corn scratch?

Thank you CowcreekGeek. I also use natural methods when I can. I plan to research this board more on more natural feeds and cures. Any one have any thoughts on all the GMO corn scratch?
I only buy organic corn. (!)

If it is too costly you can always make a scratch mix with some oats, wheat, millet (birdseed) and rolled barley (also black oil sunflower seeds but those are spendy).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom