CORID for a Canadian!!

JoPoKa

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2017
Canada
Hi guys

I'm still slowly setting up for next year's flock, and have decided to be prepared for coccidiosis ahead of time. However, I'm in Canada and Corid is not sold up here as far as I know. There are a few brands made for coccidiosis in cattle, but none for chickens, which is pretty annoying!! ...and I'm a little nervous to use medications that are not specifically made for chickens haha...

From what I've read, coccidiosis meds cannot be given over the counter and in order to treat infected birds, they must be brought in to see a vet. However, depending on how bad the outbreak is, I imagine chicks would die before even making it to my local vet office (in my area, the local vet sees you by appointment or emergencies and chickens aren't considered much of an emergency...)

I'd really love to get my hands on some powder Corid so I guess what I'm asking is if any neighbors down south (yes, that's you guys in the States!) would be willing to ship me powdered Corid? I could set up a money order or use paypal or something to pay you back the full cost?

@Wickedchicken6 Is in your area.
She has had to treat her birds for Coccidiosis before but I can't for the life of me think what product she used.
I tagged her so she will get an alert and chime in soon.

eta: I am not sure there are many things labeled specifically for chickens.
The goat and or cow stuff works just fine.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I'm still slowly setting up for next year's flock, and have decided to be prepared for coccidiosis ahead of time. However, I'm in Canada and Corid is not sold up here as far as I know. There are a few brands made for coccidiosis in cattle, but none for chickens, which is pretty annoying!! ...and I'm a little nervous to use medications that are not specifically made for chickens haha...

From what I've read, coccidiosis meds cannot be given over the counter and in order to treat infected birds, they must be brought in to see a vet. However, depending on how bad the outbreak is, I imagine chicks would die before even making it to my local vet office (in my area, the local vet sees you by appointment or emergencies and chickens aren't considered much of an emergency...)

I'd really love to get my hands on some powder Corid so I guess what I'm asking is if any neighbors down south (yes, that's you guys in the States!) would be willing to ship me powdered Corid? I could set up a money order or use paypal or something to pay you back the full cost?
:frow As far as I know, they are all for cattle. Good luck!

Hi guys

Hi JoPoka! It's a good idea getting prepared for your flock ahead of time. I commend you on that.

What you will be looking for will be Amprolium. It's usually just called Amprol.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html

As far as I know, at least for Manitoba and Saskatchewan, you have to obtain Amprol from your vet. I produced chicks for a year before I had any issues with coccidiosis. I got Amprol from my vet when I brought my a couple of the chicks in. My vet has it in 4 litre jugs. They measure out a portion of what I required for treatments so it wasn't so expensive. It would take me a long time to use an entire jug.

In Alberta, I believe you will also have to have a premise I.D. number to obtain medications as far as I understand. The rest of the provinces we're still working on finding out.

I would talk to your vet office and explain that you'll be getting chicks and you'd like to have Amprolium on hand for coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is common, I would imagine they should have no issues with that. The Amprolium I have is in liquid form.

I'll admit that I'm envious of those in the U.S. where they're able to obtain Corid from their feed store...lol. :)

I figured I just wasn't researching enough so I couldn't find any medications lol ... I'm not very confident the vet will sell me Amprol, but I'm definitely going to argue my case about how fast the cocci kills such tiny little chicks. I get off work at noon tomorrow, so I think I'm going to drop by a few vets and see what they can do for me.

I'l update as soon as I can!

Thank you for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom