Corid for vent sleet

chickwoman

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2022
Hi chicken whisperers, I went to a tack and feed store in my area and showed a picture of the back of my Chicken. He said vent gleet and another word that started with a "C". He spoke very little English so there was a bit of a language barrier. He gave me a bottle of Corid which he said should help clear them up and to add it to all my water feeders. I just want to double check if this is correct. I also have taken my chickens to the vet here before and they were useless. They tell me they don't deal with livestock. So here I am looking for guidance. Thank you so much!

PIctures would help. Corid is used to treat coccidiosis.
Vent gleet is a fungal infection caused by an overgrowth of yeast, treatment would be different for that. Need to determine if it's that or if it's runny droppings built up in the feathers.
How old is the bird? Hen, rooster, how many others do you have? How is the bird acting? Eating normally, acting normally active? Have they ever been wormed or had a fecal done to test for internal parasites.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Attachments

• 20220107_110745.jpg
    20220107_110745.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 5
PIctures would help. Corid is used to treat coccidiosis.
Vent gleet is a fungal infection caused by an overgrowth of yeast, treatment would be different for that. Need to determine if it's that or if it's runny droppings built up in the feathers.
How old is the bird? Hen, rooster, how many others do you have? How is the bird acting? Eating normally, acting normally active? Have they ever been wormed or had a fecal done to test for internal parasites.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Attachments

• 20220107_110745.jpg
    20220107_110745.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 5
That looks like a bit of runny droppings stuck in the fluff to me. I would try to clean them off, if it's cold where you are just use a wet cloth and dry her off completely before going back outside. Possible causes are numerous. If she's acting normally, eating and drinking, running around, laying eggs, then it's probably nothing to worry about and I would just keep an eye on her. If she's listless, lethargic, losing weight, not eating or drinking well, then a cause would need to be investigated. It can be a simple as something in the diet, could be internal parasites, etc. If there are no other issues my first step would be to have a fecal test done to check for parasites, which can be a cause of runny droppings. If your vet won't run one (it's the same test for all species) then there are mail in options that can be done. Some birds will have dirty butts from time to time and it's nothing to worry about. In warm climates, or warm times of year, dirty vent feathers can attract flies and cause fly strike, which can be very serious, so if it's persistent then that can be an issue.

If I already gave her that medicine could it hurt her?? I gave her 2cc's and put it in all of their water....

Corid is very safe and it won't hurt her. Won't hurt any of them. Just no reason to treat if coccidiosis is not the cause. Common symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, sitting fluffed up, not eating or drinking well, runny, mucousy or bloody droppings. Chicks and young birds are most at risk of coccidiosis (it's common) older birds have usually built some resistance to it and won't get sick unless exposed to a new strain (brought in with new birds, birds moved to new ground, or a caregiver bringing it in on clothes or shoes from another place) or if their immune systems are weakened by something else. If you ever suspect coccidiosis, it's better to treat than not.

This makes me feel better! I was so scared I hurt her by giving it to her. She has been sitting fluffed up more than normal. She still has been eating and drinking but she definitely has not been very active.

If she's acting off then it won't hurt to complete the treatment. It won't hurt anything, and coccidiosis can be very serious or fatal. Correct dosing for the liquid Corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, make it fresh daily. Treat for 5 to 7 days. Make sure it's the only water available. If she's slow to recover you can do a second 5 to 7 days at 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. I would check her over for any other reason she might no be feeling well. Look for Lice/mites, any wounds or injuries hiding in feathers, check her crop to see if it's empty, full, soft, squishy, hard, etc. Get a good look at her droppings, see if it's normal. Check eyes, nares, beak, inside of her beak and throat for any plaques, lesions, mucous or discharge. Any wheezing, sneezing or coughing. Did she molt this year and do you know when she last laid? I would crate her in a warm place until you know how she's doing so you can check all those things.

Back
Top Bottom