Corid mishap… maybe

abarber12

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
First time chicken mom. Long story short… had 3 silkie chicks die all within a few days of each other over a week timeframe. Not any symptoms besides lethargy from them, but I was worried the flock maybe had coccidiosis. So I mixed the correct amount of corid with water and left it for them (currently day 4). I have them on a nipple waterer so I don’t change the water super frequently because it doesn’t get dirty 🤷🏼‍♀️. I just realized you’re apparently supposed to mix it new every day… whoops. Now I’m not sure what to do? None of the other chicks (silkies and others) ever had any symptoms and all are fine. Not sure if coccidiosis was the problem to begin with. Do I start the dosage over? After tomorrow do I switch the water to vitamins and electrolytes and go on with my life and keep an eye out on symptoms? Help please!!

I actually don't remember if I made fresh Corid water daily, but certainly would be a good idea to do so from here on out if that's what the directions call for. Continue and finish the Corid treatment according to instructions, since you already begun treating for it you want to finish rather than cutting treatment short, in case that was an issue.

If they were mine I would continue the full treatment. Cocci does not necessarily present with bloody stool. The lethargic behavior is enough to start treatment if you checked over other possibilities. Just give a fresh dose daily to complete the treatment. Hope they feel better soon. That's what I'd do if they were my birds. Best wishes

I actually don't remember if I made fresh Corid water daily, but certainly would be a good idea to do so from here on out if that's what the directions call for. Continue and finish the Corid treatment according to instructions, since you already begun treating for it you want to finish rather than cutting treatment short, in case that was an issue.
Thank you! That’s the thing is I don’t see anything on the directions that says change it daily but when I was researching it online, people were saying change daily 😅

Thank you! That’s the thing is I don’t see anything on the directions that says change it daily but when I was researching it online, people were saying change daily 😅
You would be far better off dosing the birds individually. This can be done with minimal fuss by putting the correct dosage for each bird in a small containor, cutting up some one quarter inch cubes (approximate) of bread, soaking the bread in the Corid solution and offering it the bird to be treated.

Oh, well in that case, then just mixing up a batch with proper dosage and providing it for the duration of treatment should suffice. (I suppose I should've just looked at what my bottle said, but it didn't occur to me haha.)

Back
Top Bottom