Corid to a chicken who was already on medications?

Sobek

Songster
Aug 12, 2018
orlando florida
I hospitalized a chicken. She was given lots of medicine
2 doses on Ponazuril last dose was on 7/2 (Two weeks apart)
baytril 68mg half tablet twice a day last dose was on 7/9
Meloxicam 1.5ml/mL last dose was on 7/4

The tech called and said there was coccidiosis present I'm not entirely sure how they knew because no lab work was done but the medications they gave saved her life. I'm planning to treat the chickens with Corid but I was concerned about overloading the chicken that was sick by giving her corid with the other birds. Does anyone feel this would or wouldn't be an issue?

I hospitalized a chicken. She was given lots of medicine
2 doses on Ponazuril last dose was on 7/2 (Two weeks apart)
baytril 68mg half tablet twice a day last dose was on 7/9
Meloxicam 1.5ml/mL last dose was on 7/4

The tech called and said there was coccidiosis present I'm not entirely sure how they knew because no lab work was done but the medications they gave saved her life. I'm planning to treat the chickens with Corid but I was concerned about overloading the chicken that was sick by giving her corid with the other birds. Does anyone feel this would or wouldn't be an issue?
Since they are under vet care, consult your vet about giving the Corid.

Probably not.... I asked them if they see chickens often and they said rarely and no one ever hospitalizes a chicken. It costed me $2550
If they didn’t take any tests it’s awfully strange that they found cocci in the tests. I would treat for corid just because it almost never hurts, and it shouldn’t hurt your hen. With all that medicine she’s taking though, I would wonder how you could get the corid to her.

Since they are under vet care, consult your vet about giving the Corid.
I gave them a call and they put the call on the doctors Work list for tomorrow. I'm just very concerned this chicken weighs 1900-2000 grams so she's doing okay in that department but her appetites seems to be decreasing. I haven't been spending as much time with them anymore... But I can tell something is off. I've spend enough time with them to know their personalities

I feel I would do more harm than good isolating Carnelian, the chicken whom was sick because she hates the cage.

I gave them a call and they put the call on the doctors Work list for tomorrow. I'm just very concerned this chicken weighs 1900-2000 grams so she's doing okay in that department but her appetites seems to be decreasing. I haven't been spending as much time with them anymore... But I can tell something is off. I've spend enough time with them to know their personalities

I feel I would do more harm than good isolating Carnelian, the chicken whom was sick because she hates the cage.
Stress is horrible for a sick chicken, is there any other place you can keep her away from the others besides the cage?

If they didn’t take any tests it’s awfully strange that they found cocci in the tests. I would treat for corid just because it almost never hurts, and it shouldn’t hurt your hen. With all that medicine she’s taking though, I would wonder how you could get the corid to her.
She's currently off ALL medications and I give her a calcium carbonate supplement every other day that was given by doctor. That I should probably be still giving every day like it says on bottle but she's gotten so much better and eating her layer feed I just give every couple of days

Back
Top Bottom