Corid??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by This_chicks_place, Aug 26, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a hen with some bloody diarrhea. It has been recommended that I treat with Corid. I have a few questions.....When I put it in the water, how much? and do I let everybody drink it? When they have been treated can we still eat the eggs? If not how long should we abstain?

2. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    anybody??

3. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm pretty new to chickens so I'm no expert. I found one of my hens had bloody diarrhea earlier this week and am now treating them all with Corid. I put 2 teaspoons of Corid into a gallon of water and put that out as the only water supply. I believe you should treat this way for 5 to 7 days.

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    1 tsp per gallon water 5-7 days . When in doubt look up dawg 53 he is the guru very knowledgeable.

5. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thank you. What about eating the eggs?

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    On the bottle it says, "RESIDUE WARNINGS: WIthdraw 24 hours before slaughter."

They're talking about cattle, but I would guess you can apply the same to chickens and eggs.

7. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I just double checked the dosage for corid and it's 9.5 cc/ml per gallon of water which amounts to 1.92 teaspoons per gallon.

8. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    The lady ay the grain store told me 3 tea spoons per gallon for 4 days, and not to eat the eggs for 10 days.

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I believe this is for the powder, correct?

My bottle of liquid says 16 oz for 100 gallons, which is .16 oz per gallon. A tablespoon is .5 oz.; a teaspoon is one-third of a tablespoon which would be .167 oz.

The treatment is for five days, per the label.

Karen P, I don't know if you can overdose chicks with Corid, but 3-4 teaspoons per gallon sounds like a lot, powder or liquid. I've found that those who work at feed stores don't always know everything about every animal and every disease. My friend lost two chicks because her feed store person had her use tetracycline for coccidia (instead of sulmet, which she told her was too harsh.) Better a harsh treatment than to slowly waste away and die!

I would trust what the label says and the veterans here on BYC.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    We have a chart at the feed store where I work. It says 5ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Thats what I did when my young ones got it this spring and they did fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by