Corn On the Cob

Waldorbigbill

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Found a good treat for the chicks today. We always save the cobs from the corn when we have it or at a BBQ. Well Its been hot here so my wife froze them when I was outside cleaning the coop I asked wife for them she hand me a bag of frozen half eaten corn cobs. I was like what is this she said a treat like a ice pop. The chicken went nuts for them I was surprised.

What a great idea
lol.png

I freeze our cobs, and the bad ears of corn that we won't eat for those cold winter nights. Take them out in the morning so they thaw, then feed them to them in the late afternoon. The corn helps them to produce heat, which is why I don't like giving them to much corn during these hot days we've been having.

I do them give some when I know the evening is going to cool down. They do love their corn!

I grow a huge organic garden and my 23 week old pullets have been fed all kinds of veggies since they were two weeks old, so they have always loved their veggie treats. I got my corn planted a little late, and could hardly wait for the corn to come in to feed to my girls. Would you believe that they totally ignore the beautiful ears of perfect corn on the cob I gave them??? I even cut some off the cob and they pecked at it, then left it on the ground and went in search of grasshoppers.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom