1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Drosera, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Drosera

Drosera Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Henryville, Quebec
    Hi,

I bought a 25 kilo bag of whole "round" corn yesterday. Winter is quickly coming upon us, and I was wondering how much I should give them? Should it be mixed with their regular "layer" food, or be given seperately? Anything else I should know about corn feeding?

Thanks.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I feed mine a mixture of layer and grain and get good results. Corn is not a complete diet for a chicken.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I forgot to add [​IMG]

4. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I'd give it separately, kind of like scratch. Just make sure not to feed too much of it, because everything your hens need is in the layer feed. The corn does help raise their body temperature though, so a handful in the afternoon can help keep them comfy at night.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    When I put my girls away in late afternoon I sprinkle some corn around on coop floor on shavings. They then really do a good job of stirring up the shavings for me while getting in some corn for cold night.[​IMG]

Do not feed them corn during hot weather !!!!:mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by