Cornish Broiler Roosters - Right at about 8 Weeks

Dustin07

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
Gig Harbor
My Coop
My Coop
We have 5 Cornish Broilers, 4 of them I believe are roosters and we're looking to sell or trade the boys if there is any interest.

We are not picky about what we get in return, and it doesn't even have to be a chicken if it can live with our chickens.

Quail, Silkies, easter eggers, etc.
We could consider other outdoor hardy breeds of birds as well, doves, finches etc.

Located in Gig Harbor, WA

I don't get my notifications very well so I'll try to watch the thread!

The birds are right about at 6-7 weeks now so I posted in the 8week+ forum figuring they may be 8 weeks by the time you take them.

63RBNEyhUwyb5uyJQsF7Ph2d5Zmb8Vt68yFScMvNOEKk313BXjbamY2vh_QER9QqXf89tkpLoBCpSVtU4yqnmbmtDXAJDqMXsqv9QBaUhD-sN_9-B92U1zsjwN2E60fxQgTGXR8WDzMekvc1sQPfppXyX_9lA8UD2reYQtoq1dFIoOQ6xlCWgvI-C5k1enS3me1oNVnE_apR1KwxG4H8jLB3v6PZtyDTi-NEMileiyJsXaAWBfgT8nvXQIn7a2xKonsVZoQSYDlmVByhcC30xTCrYKFHnQfPG_vl2cSVCs0u8KnIZHGpX_aKYZw4_H0Sz2j7-hVaNtWYSD5SAbQrnqUUtWBd5Tx_4nK3MbJnHDFdrJAPYAJMWFXLZGMUyuI70PR2w6hI89PysSGzqTocfwg9ZAqZjd8bE0jpuLz7WGKnQtyn_ad4E0rnN7xPAKYuYwiU9zb-oECGDs7OgJ3JaVdbSykDdPUdO_fIKRz9O1LLMe_eEB6mlwicH_ioZr-r_L_cHkkobuS57TcYqkn08YBQyCn5qFR63DBOoEQzTI-SNcM8qCK2jtnzeLL87NvUtRJP-OGSgBvFipYuG1bTsAYA5fptGmzV7QHsFAygXMaD4Bwx0X5TU-Ck7ua3W9NAIiYa7eQ1ty3HWs7C4EPXxJeHsHF5BLJz4TYv_v8Xnxt7f2NpStnybwZLs3x1bA=w1840-h1380-no

Last edited:
Oh I'd love to harvest the broilers, I have no issue with that. But the ladies in my life have deemed all our chickens as pets and therefore I can eat only the eggs and must rehome the boys lol.
I love Cornish cross, best pets I’ve ever had. Most people will not take the boys though, so it will be quite difficult to rehome them. You can try to post them on Craigslist, although they will be most likely used for meat.

Yes, Cornish X can be sweet, docile birds.

I am sad to say that they aren't really good pets because they have been intensely bred for only one reason - meat.

Cornish X put on weight so fast that they develop health problems sooner than other kinds of chickens. Your heritage-breed chickens will live much longer, healthier lives under normal circumstances. Easter Eggers, Orpingtons, Silkies, Cochins, plus many bantams and other dual-purpose chickens make fine pets. If protected against predators and cared for, they can live long lives. I mentioned breeds known for a sweet disposition. Silkies and bantam Cochins are lovely pets for children that can live on small properties.

Orpingtons are great as egg layers with a good temperament. Easter Eggers move around a little faster, but might work on a slightly larger lot.

Unless the feed for Cornish X is seriously restricted, they usually develop health problems by reproductive age.

I'm really surprised that people don't want Cornish X cockerels ---- the differences between them and Cornish X pullets at 7-8 weeks are very small. Their meat is as tender as the meat of female Cornish X...because they are just babies that are nowhere near sexual maturity. This is the reason that Cornish X are usually sold straight-run.

Of course, there is a huge difference between the meat of heritage breed pullets and Stags (Cockerels that are almost Roosters) at their 16-18 week harvest size. This should not matter in your case, because you want chickens as pets and maybe for some eggs.

Cornish X are more like to be rehomed to the knife and the scald pot because that is the one purpose of Cornish X.

I know that is tough to break to some members of the family who think of chickens more as pets than as animals that have "purposes" such as egg layers, chick brooders, meat, dual-purpose, and so on. That is why I suggested some possible more family-friendly breeds for when you look for "replacements" for the Cornish X.

Congratulations on your 2+ year old Cornish X hen!! You clearly take good care of Cornish X hens so they can live a long time and lay eggs! From what I read, their eggs are really big! Amazing that she gave you an egg a day!
Thank you!! She did lay really big eggs and they were white, sometimes a super (almost white) cream egg. The one I have now will be 5 months the 22nd of this month.

With Cornish Broilers, the gender doesn't really matter because under normal circumstances with normal feeding, they are harvested before they reach sexual maturity.

What's more important is whether you were originally planning on putting the Cornish Broilers in your own freezer, or selling them live.

My advice, if you have any experience at all with butchering a chicken, would be to just harvest them yourself at around 8 weeks. No gas wasted driving them off the farm....

If you want the Cornish Broiler pullet to live any decent length of time, you will need to seriously restrict her feed. She would have to be put somewhere apart from the other chickens that can have feed 24/7.

Lots more meat bird discussion here. Hop in!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/meat-birds-etc.21/

Last edited:
Oh I'd love to harvest the broilers, I have no issue with that. But the ladies in my life have deemed all our chickens as pets and therefore I can eat only the eggs and must rehome the boys lol.

I agree, Cornish X are bred for meat and they do VERY easily develop health issues. But I have gotten Cornish X as pets because of how friendly they are. Mine was over two years old and got attacked, she would’ve lived longer. They are harder to care for, but worth it in the long run. Mine gave me an egg a day and took a three week break in the middle of the year. She started laying at five months old. The one I have now follows me everywhere and loves to be held. I wouldn’t keep a roo, but I love Cornish X hens, best pet chicken I’ve ever had.

I agree, Cornish X are bred for meat and they do VERY easily develop health issues. But I have gotten Cornish X as pets because of how friendly they are. Mine was over two years old and got attacked, she would’ve lived longer. They are harder to care for, but worth it in the long run. Mine gave me an egg a day and took a three week break in the middle of the year. She started laying at five months old. The one I have now follows me everywhere and loves to be held. I wouldn’t keep a roo, but I love Cornish X hens, best pet chicken I’ve ever had.
Congratulations on your 2+ year old Cornish X hen!! You clearly take good care of Cornish X hens so they can live a long time and lay eggs! From what I read, their eggs are really big! Amazing that she gave you an egg a day!

Back
Top Bottom