Cornish cross crowing

Viper44m

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
I have never heard anyone mention Cornish Cross roosters crowing... ever. But, this morning one of ours, 6 wks old, was doing his best to get a crow out, three different times. Yes, they were pitiful, but they were crows! Our meat birds also, scratch for food, roost on short roosts and run around the yard... well, maybe not run, it's more of a skip. :eek:) But, they're having a good life.

Yupp, any bird that reaches sexual maturity can crow! Growing faster means they've been bred to reach sexual maturity faster. Usually ours crow on processing day for the first time. But obviously some may never crow, and some crow early.

my Legbar roo is 10.5 weeks old. He has been crowing since not quite 8 weeks old and at 9 weeks old started dragging the girls around trying to breed them. I warned him he better stop being such a D&*k H%$d or he will be going

Last weekend I heard one of my meaties let out a couple weak, but distinct, crows. They were just over 7 weeks. Last time I did meaties they went to 9 weeks and I never heard any crowing.

This time I slowed down their feed and they were active too. I don't free range them but they would hop around their run and roost on the hanging feeder in between feedings. I think it definitely comes down to how you feed these birds how active they are.

Back
Top Bottom