Cornish Cross Gurgling when Breathing

Hoodiyep

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Canton, GA
Hey guys. I am hoping you can help me out. This is my first round of raising Cornish Crosses. I have one that just turned 8 weeks today. It is making this labored breathing sound. It sounds as if it has fluid in the lungs. It makes a gurgling sound with each breath. I was going to hold out another week before butchering, but I think I may need to do it this weekend. Does anyone know what this is? What causes it? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys. I am hoping you can help me out. This is my first round of raising Cornish Crosses. I have one that just turned 8 weeks today. It is making this labored breathing sound. It sounds as if it has fluid in the lungs. It makes a gurgling sound with each breath. I was going to hold out another week before butchering, but I think I may need to do it this weekend. Does anyone know what this is? What causes it? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you may have some congestive heart failure issues.....are the combs and/or wattles pale or bluish colored? If so, then that indicates low oxgen levels in the bloodstream. My experience has been that the cockerels seem to develop these symptoms sooner than the pullets. I would start processing tomorrow if I could because they will literally drop dead on you. The one you are describing may not survive the night.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom