Cornish cross have to be the stupidest birds....and a ?

dipence71

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Murrayville, IL
They pile on top of each other, in the heat and humidity here in Illinois, and on my to be EE hens and smother each other and my EE pullets ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

Anyone else ever heard of this or had this problem?

I had to seperate my older chicks and 2 wk old CX because 4 wk old chicks started picking on CX. I needed to limiting feeding for CX so they didn't eat themselves to death and they couldn't have food in front all the time like other chicks. Pile ups can kill the bottom ones esp in heat. Maybe you should think about a seperate pen? I'm sure your EE would then be happy : )

I had that problem with the only batch I tried. I ordered 200 and sold most of them, kept 80 for myself. I had them in a 10 foot by 8 foot horse stall with six heat lamps spread across the stall. Instead of spreading around under all the lights, the whole lot of them would pile six or seven deep under one lamp, and the bottom layer would get crushed to death because they would just get warm and go to sleep and not get up and move when they couldn't get enough air under there. By four weeks old, they started attacking each other and all ganging up on one bird, killing it, and then ripping it apart and eating its guts.

My friend had some do that last year . . . just one pen it was really wasn't even CX just a pen of pilers! I like my CX they are slow moving . . . unless I'm later for dinner
big_smile.png
but I don't find them particularly stupid. In fact my free ranging CX figured out that I have an outside entrance to my bedroom and that I use it every morning, so there they were every morning - only a few other pet birds have figured that out!

I have had them pile on top of each other in intense heat to get away from the sun. Make sure they have enough shade on a hot day. I also take away all food when the heat is strong.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom