Cornish Cross Laying on side

thedude

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
First time raising CX but I've have had chickens for a long time.

Details:
- The birds are about 4.5 weeks old and are growing normally
- They were vaccinated for cocci and mareks
- They have feed all day but are cut off at night. They have water all the time (automatic waterer)
- I feed Nutrena Meat Bird feed (crumbles) 22% or so of protein. Unfortunately I don't have a "feed mill" near me to make my own.
- They are in a chicken tractor (6'x10') that gets moved once per day, it has an enclosed section, and a heat lamp for cool evenings.

So far 4 birds (out of 40) have done this. They just lay down and can't seem to get back up. They will still eat and drink, but they sleep alot, One has his legs stretched out behind him.

One bird did have some diarrhea, but I fixed that with some ACV and yogurt. I've seen some pink in some of the poo but according to the poo page it's a normal thing.

I'll likely start giving them ACV. I didn't give them grit because they are in the tractor and have access to scratch around. But maybe I should?

Other suggestions?

thanks
Chris

First time raising CX but I've have had chickens for a long time.

Details:
- The birds are about 4.5 weeks old and are growing normally
- They were vaccinated for cocci and mareks
- They have feed all day but are cut off at night. They have water all the time (automatic waterer)
- I feed Nutrena Meat Bird feed (crumbles) 22% or so of protein. Unfortunately I don't have a "feed mill" near me to make my own.
- They are in a chicken tractor (6'x10') that gets moved once per day, it has an enclosed section, and a heat lamp for cool evenings.

So far 4 birds (out of 40) have done this. They just lay down and can't seem to get back up. They will still eat and drink, but they sleep alot, One has his legs stretched out behind him.

One bird did have some diarrhea, but I fixed that with some ACV and yogurt. I've seen some pink in some of the poo but according to the poo page it's a normal thing.

I'll likely start giving them ACV. I didn't give them grit because they are in the tractor and have access to scratch around. But maybe I should?

Other suggestions?

thanks
Chris

Chris, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Some birds just do this. Try to keep their feed high enough that they have to stand up to eat or drink. It strengthens their legs. If they are down, I'd go ahead and process those. Small but good.
big_smile.png

Ok, I was afraid of that, but at least it isn't some sort of disease. I'll keep feeding the down birds for a little longer to put a little more meat on them.

I do keep their food elevated. I have a big feeder that they actually have to climb up on a board to eat from. Then I have two smaller feeders to supplement and avoid the "morning rush".

I'm going to test out the fermented feed. I'd love to cut down on the feed bill and hopefully improve the health of the meat birds and our layers.

thanks
Chris

Back
Top Bottom