1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Cross - Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CaitlinxxInsane, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Jenjeng

Jenjeng New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I just discovered we have a 13 wk old CX. She is the sweetest bird we have! Since she is so large she is unable to climb the ramp into the hen house. So far, I've been lifting her in & out everyday as the food & water are outside.

What do you all do? We live in the bay area CA so guess she can technically sleep outside of the hen house but I feel bad & it secludes her from the other chickens.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thank you!
    Jen

2. myrtletheturtle

myrtletheturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Quote:Thank you so much for this valuable information, Kuntrygirl!!! An acquantance of mine just rescued what we believe to be a cornish cross off the side of a highway in Nashville and she is going to come live with my chickens :) I am happy to give her a home for as long as possible but am hoping to keep her around and your information gives me LOTS of hope so thank you so much for posting!!!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thank you so much for this valuable information, Kuntrygirl!!! An acquantance of mine just rescued what we believe to be a cornish cross off the side of a highway in Nashville and she is going to come live with my chickens :) I am happy to give her a home for as long as possible but am hoping to keep her around and your information gives me LOTS of hope so thank you so much for posting!!!

You are very welcome. Glad that she will have a home. Please post pics of her and keep us update on her progress. If you have any questions about her care, please feel free to PM me.

4. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Cornish Cross do three things really good: eat, sleep and poop.
    I guess you can keep them as pets. If you want an eating, sleeping and pooping machine as a pet.

5. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    I have 8 left from the 20 some we got at the first of the year. We plan to keep the 2 smaller ones just because. Mine are very heavy but do fly up to the roosts. Hubby says they will lay huge double yolk eggs.... still have yet to see any from them. They get let out every day and they run a lot. Only major issue I have with them is that they peck on the other chickens and when I throw food out they stomp the crap out of everyone. If you dont watch it they start pecking people legs too which rewards them with a quick kick and yelling to the hubby that he HAS to get rid of the other 6 SOON or I will start ringing necks..... We haven't lost any to broken legs or heart problems, though I can see where these can be issues with them.

April

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I thought that's what all chickens do. [​IMG]

7. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Quote:I thought that's what all chickens do. [​IMG]

some chickens lay eggs...