Cornish Cross -- some are small, some are huge -- whats up with that?

ScorpChix

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
The Other Vancouver (WA)
Hi everyone. This is my first time with meaties. We got 25 last week and they are doing great. I haven't lost one yet (could it be the ACV and vitamins?). I thought I was going to lose a little one with a bad hip (I know how it feels)
smile.png

Anyways, my question is == some chicks are huge == at least twice the size of the small ones. Whats up with that? How is it possible that they are so different in size? Will the little ones catch up? And at what point will I know if they are male or female?

Thanks!
Donna

PS

Hubby is making me an 'engineer-wanna-be' chicken tractor -- will share pics in the Housing area soo. All I asked for was a PVC tractor. Sheesh

I've:( had 2 out of 25 that didn't develop. They grew to about 3 wk of normal, ate, drank, and walked about normally.. and stayed there. Finally, sacraficed them to the chicken gods. Another CC grower nearby also had a minature...1/25 too.

Quote:
It appears to me that at least some runts have genetic defects ; others catch up in time .
I had a small order of 10 and 3 were noticably smaller on arrival , and two of those three were male [ I feather sexed them ] so it was not due to sex . Two of those three stayed in down over their heads far longer than the others and the third soon caught up and was unidentifiable from the others ; the smallest went down on its legs early . The surviving male runt finally caught up to the size of pullets at around 10 or 12 weeks [ these are being raised to breed ] and at 14 weeks its hard to tell which one of the cockerals used to be the runt . I've lost 2 out of 10 due to going down on their legs and don't believe it was actually a leg problem ; I think it has something to do with their hearts . I butchered the second one that went down and found sacs of fluid in her body cavity but no obvious signs of problems in her thighs or legs . The last loss was a 12 week old pullet that apparently died at the waterer immediately after consuming her daily ration .
By 4 weeks the roos were easily spotted by their combs and wattles plus two out of three were bigger than the pullets . Since they are on restricted diets , my observations may not apply to those getting fed for consumption .

Well I hate to say this but I don't think that a cornish cross will be able to breed naturally. You will proabably have to artifically inseminate them if its even possible. I have never done that so I don't know/ BUT you can make a meat chicken with a White Plymouth Rock and another breed. I am guessing it a Cornish breed since you "CORNISH X ROCK" but have honestly never tryed it. But are you feeding teh runts enough protein? It might be because of that. I am having the same problem with my birds not laying eggs. One person suggested to me to give them some starter for a few weeks. That might help. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom