Cornish cross

New member here, new to chicken breeding /processing! wanting to find out where to buy Cornish cross and do you also need a rooster to breed to get more Cornish cross chickens ty
Welcome to BYC!
Most farm stores sell Cornish crosses. You can't breed them to each other (should they survive long enough to breed) and get more Cornish crosses. They are a hybrid and don't breed true. It's easiest to just purchase more chicks when you want to raise your next batch.
I've often seen them go on drastic discount at the farm stores when the chicks are 2 weeks old and haven't sold. $1 a chick and only 6-7 weeks to finish processing those birds.

ty
Welcome to BYC!
Most farm stores sell Cornish crosses. You can't breed them to each other (should they survive long enough to breed) and get more Cornish crosses. They are a hybrid and don't breed true. It's easiest to just purchase more chicks when you want to raise your next batch.
I've often seen them go on drastic discount at the farm stores when the chicks are 2 weeks old and haven't sold. $1 a chick and only 6-7 weeks to finish processing those birds.
thank you

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow

I've had my best luck with feed to carcass conversion from McMurray. When I raise CX, I feed them an 18% protein meat bird formula from beginning to end. They spend 3 weeks in the brooder and then 35 days in a tractor moving to fresh grass daily or twice daily. Males will tend to put on more weight then females but I still prefer straight run.

You'll also want to restrict their feed to keep your mortality rate down, once they've left the brooder. I prefer to feed them what they can eat in 45 minutes to an hour twice per day. That gave me a mortality rate of 3%-5%.

As Dobie said, no point in attempting to breed as they won't likely live long enough and won't breed true. There are folks out here who have managed to keep them alive long enough to breed, but they chose to use another large breed male as the CX males have trouble breeding. At the hatchery they use AI to breed their parent stock.

Welcome to BYC!

is there a link on byc 2 get less than 10 CX? I found one link but it was confusing it had delivery dates but it had 1,000+ or 500+ and the date and I don't need 1,000 chicken is that what it is referring to

Back
Top Bottom