cornish cross..

YARDBYRD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
New Hampshire
we have 6 meat birds..Cornish Rock. we take away the food for 12 hours like is recommended question is how long do we keep them on chick starter.. and what kind of feed is next..

I ferment game bird for them. I don't use chick starter because their life span before my freezer is so short. Look into a game bird or turkey feed. Week three is when most change their feed over.

I feed chick starter first week, then switch to broiler feed, most instructions I have seen for Cornish X broilers, you can even start them on broiler mix, will be starting my 4th season in about 5 weeks, I have had minimal issues, long as feed it taken away over night, beginning week two...

update..I have been reading a lot about fermented feed. It all sound good to me. So I started a batch. I have some stuck on a stick.. I hung the stick in the run and the meaties went nuts for it.. cant wait till it real fermented feed and see how they like it. I have been adding acv to their water since they were days old, so I think they have a taste for it. THANKS everyone for all the information
I also think I will try to grow some fodder for rabbits that are coming soon and some for he chickens.. any thoughts on the fodder element??

The FF doesn't need to be completely fermented to start feeding it to them. Screen plots are the best if you don't have a large area for them to roam. I don't grow anything myself because I have a large area but I have friends that do. They set up the fodder and some kale in screens right in the pen. The raised screens prevent the chickens from eating the seeds when they start and from destroying the roots after it is grown. You want some stiff wire because they will be walking on it and you want it to rest at the lowest point that you allow them to eat from.

Back
Top Bottom