Cornish Game Hens with a broken leg.

baredrock101

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2016
Hey could someone please help me 2 of my Cornish Game Hens broke there leg I think they will be ok but I can not figure out if one of the game hens legs are broken or just sprained she dose not wan't to move or stand on it. I also can not fined out how they broke there leg one of them was out in the run 2-3 feet from a roost nudged up against a wall and rock, they other was in the coop limping around the feed when I picked her up she was shacking and drooled a lot (for a chicken).

Look at the bottoms of their feet for dark sores or swelling that might be bumblefoot. Look for swelling in the leg and foot joints. A picture of them standing might help. Splinting with padding and vet wrap can sometimes help. Slipped tendon or leg bone deformities are often common in young birds.

This one won't stand or move and has black spots on her feet. She is also the one that i can not tell if her leg is broken or not.

This one is the one who vibrates and sometimes drools a bit when you pick her up or she walks. There are no spots on her feet.

I'm not sure sour crop can cause lameness but you mention drooling when you pick them up...how does their crop feel? Squishy/hard/empty? Does the drool smell? Are they eating and drinking and pooping as normal? Lameness can be a symptom of many different illnesses including heat stroke/malnutrition/lack of water or shade so a thorough examine of everything (not just legs) is a good idea to rule anything else out. Good luck!

That is pretty bad bumblefoot or pododermatiis on the foot of the one in the second picture. That can lead to bacterial arthritis. Are those cornish cross meat birds? If so, they can be prone to lameness and broken legs as they grow.

I'm not sure sour crop can cause lameness but you mention drooling when you pick them up...how does their crop feel? Squishy/hard/empty? Does the drool smell? Are they eating and drinking and pooping as normal? Lameness can be a symptom of many different illnesses including heat stroke/malnutrition/lack of water or shade so a thorough examine of everything (not just legs) is a good idea to rule anything else out. Good luck!

I will check every thing you suggested.

With bumblefoot, you can soak the feet in warm Epsom salts for a couple of days. Then bumblefoot surgery might be needed. Dry bedding and keeping their feet dry as possible may help. Poultry vitamins and minerals may help sometimes with lameness if caused by a deficiency.

With bumblefoot, you can soak the feet in warm Epsom salts for a couple of days. Then bumblefoot surgery might be needed. Dry bedding and keeping their feet dry as possible may help. Poultry vitamins and minerals may help sometimes with lameness if caused by a deficiency.
Ok i will try that in the morning. how many times a day should I do this?

Back
Top Bottom