Cornish Hens life span

Chickyhouse

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2021
I’ve seen a lot of discussion about Cornish chickens and how they live. I’m currently raising 8 of them and they’ve lived past two weeks now. They are healthy and the right size for their age. I’ve heard people say they only live up to 8 weeks but the Strange thing is I’ve read on here people have raised them for years! We’ve raised Cornish chickens before and they lived up to five years. Does anyone have any advice on how I can raise them to be healthy? It’s been a while since I raised chickens I wanna see what other people have to say.

Do you have Cornish chickens or Cornish X meat birds ? There is a significant difference. Cornish chickens can/do have a normal life span. Cornish X on the other hand are bred for maximum feed consumption and growth. Generally somewhere around 10 weeks they start skeletal and heart problems. Limiting feed and allowing them to move about/free range can extend their life span somewhat.

Do you have Cornish chickens or Cornish X meat birds ? There is a significant difference. Cornish chickens can/do have a normal life span. Cornish X on the other hand are bred for maximum feed consumption and growth. Generally somewhere around 10 weeks they start skeletal and heart problems. Limiting feed and allowing them to move about/free range can extend their life span somewhat.
The lady (the one who sold us the birds) said they were Cornish chickens. That was all she said. Got them from Tractor Co supply. The only type of chicken I see them sell are Cornish chickens. Or Cornish cross?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom