Cornish laying well?

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
So I was told my Gertrude is a cornish or cornish x. I have been reading on them, and she sure does look like it. Here is the thing, we have had her since WEdnessday and she has layed an egg every day but one. Everything I read says they are poor layers and do one egg a week. So why is she laying so many in the middle of winter? Is that normal? Could she just be crossed with something that lays well?

Here she is:
chicken-2.jpg

chicken-5.jpg

She is as said - A cornish.

They're not poor layers if they're hatchery quality (like her) as hatcheries breed solely for egg production.
wink.png

She's definitely not a Wyandotte as she has double lacing, the wrong body type, wrong comb type, too small of wattles, and too fierce and deep set of a head.

If a Wyandotte looked like her, that is (sorry, no offense meant) one very poor quality Wyandotte. I would admit though - My hatchery Wyandottes are almost like her, just not as meaty nor with that beautiful head.
smile.png

Oh and on a side note - Even if she does become a poor layer, you won't notice it now. Even the poorest layers will still give a good amount on their first few weeks. My Shamos, a breed that is known not to lay much, gives me an egg every other day. . . But she's new at it. Eventually it will be very seasonal.
smile.png

Last edited:
Cool; I am learning. I looked at the neat pattern on the feathers and thought Wyandotte. That what I like about this sight - so many knowledgeable people.

Last edited:
That is a dark cornish. I have several of them. I was very surprised at how well mine have layed - they all seem to lay at least every other day or so.

That is a dark cornish. I have several of them. I was very surprised at how well mine have layed - they all seem to lay at least every other day or so.

She looks just like my dark cornish-

egg laying- she does really good when she is on the ball (5-6 eggs a week), but I have had her for about 8 months, and she has gone broody one me twice and now is in molt (poor thing! its freezing outside!!!)

hope that helps, I was also told she wouldnt lay well and was suprised at how well she did, and how pretty the eggs were too!

Last edited:
That crazy hen laid two eggs today! There was one at 7am when I went out (she laid yesterday morning and I checked at 4 pm yesterday and there was nothing) Then at 2pm today my dh went out to check the water for me and there was another egg! I know it was hers because it was light brown and the ee lays green eggs. (She laid one this morning too) So we got 3 eggs today from two hens, in record breaking cold weather! Crazy girls!

That may very well be a dark Cornish. I've never had them. But just looking at the pictures shown....she could be a Black Sex-Link.
(There is no picture that shows that "wide-stance" of a Cornish.)

IF Cornish hens lay THAT WELL....I might get a few !!!

Apparently a FINE HEN !!!

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom