Cornish Rock Chicks.

all my weekend was spent building a coop so I had no time to check in! I need to get those vitamins to so thank yall for posting about where to find those... I am worried about little dude, he doesnt walk and he does pant alot (probably because he is gigantor) he does well on this big blanket I have... so maybe he will just have to be my inside pet now
smile.png

Although I am considering taking him to the vet to just have him put down because I just dont know if he will get any better....

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes I am!!! He did so well today when we took them outside... it seems that a night on my Napoleon Dynamite blanket did him well
smile.png
I also bought som Polyvisol vitamins (that someone suggested) for him for now until I can find a mega calcium kinda thing. How are yours doing!?

Pretty good, they still chase me when I try to take their food away.. >.< I was going to get rid of some at first but I decided I'll keep em all
big_smile.png

My cornish rock pets are 3 weeks old now and enjoying being outside in their chicken pen. Although I do see where they have a hard time with the heat even in the shade. The temp as been in the low 80s and they are already laying kind of prostrate with their legs sprawed out panting.

I also read on here about doing the 12 hour feeding on and off so I try to keep that in mind. I also make them work for their food by scattering it all over the chicken pen so that they have to get up off thier lazy butts and scratch around for the food.

I have been doing this for almost a week now and it must be helping somewhat because it seems their fat growth has slowed down some. They seemed to grow slowly then all of a sudden in the 2nd week they exploded with fat so I chose to put them outside in the chicken pen at that time. They have a heat lamp at night and shelter and shade.

If I had not fowled up in my thinking that cornish rocks were good egg layers I would not had gotten them because of the way they die young and suffer. But I just cant butcher a pet. I cant eat something I feed and water and raise.

So I will try to give them as good of a life as can be. I enjoy their nearly non stop cheeping. It sounds so pretty.

I hope yall who are keeping cornish rocks as pets keep posting about them because I am learning from your posts and it is kind of nice not being alone in this. People keep getting after me for not butchering them.

I kept one as a pet. He got huge!! Then one day he just keeled over an died. After that, our cornish go in the freezer. I give them a good life except for one very bad day. With cornish x you have a choice. They will end up either in the dumpster or the freezer. I opt for the freezer. If they didn't die so fast I would keep some for pets.

try using red cell for the vitamin. you can get it at tsc or just about any feed store. its used for horses but you can give it to any animal (curious me even tasted a drop of it wasnt bad its has a sweet iron flavor to it). ive used it for years. just put a spoon of it into a gallon waterer and put it with your flock. i do it 1-2 times a week. mine are beasts as well. im going to try to get my cornish rocks up to the 16 pound mark. the ideal hatchery book says tehy can get that big so we will see

Ok, I'll try that. 3 days ago my favorite chick broke his leg. I let it be, and now he's running and walking on it fine.. But it is facing inward. o.o Chicks are pecking at his toes. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Back
Top Bottom