Cornish Rock Meat Bird Breeding Project

Pics
You need CX more than you need standard white cornish. The CX will speed things up and give you something to chew on.
I'm not gonna waste my time on a bird that needs feed restrictions(I'm not set up for Cornish X). Plus, I'm not getting the White Cornish, I want either Dark Cornish, White Laced Red Cornish, or a mix of the two.

All my birds have 24/7 feed access.

I'm not gonna waste my time on a bird that needs feed restrictions(I'm not set up for Cornish X). Plus, I'm not getting the White Cornish, I want either Dark Cornish, White Laced Red Cornish, or a mix of the two.

All my birds have 24/7 feed access.
I am interested in this

White Chantecler Chicken............https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/white-chantecler-chicken/​

I am interested in this

White Chantecler Chicken............https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/white-chantecler-chicken/​

I hate solid white birds. I was gonna get Buff Chanteclers from Meyer's, but they discontinued them before I could add them to my spring order.

rying to get a mostly turkey sized bird, with long legs, long naked neck, & decently full breasts. Going for 2.5ft - 3ft tall, & 10lb - 15lbs. Mature range I want is fast to moderate. These meaties are gonna be able to do normal chicken things without the restrictions Cornish X may have.
They won't be as tender as Cornish X, unless you process them with in 8 to 12 weeks.

It pretty much comes down to battle between maximum efficiency vs easier to do. I choose easier to do but if someone wanted to make a business out of it with narrow profit margins I can see going that extra mile to breed with a male CX. Some people have a knack for dealing with adversity or heavy challenges, others (like me) prefer the easiest route to success. Some people take bigger risks (like risk of failure) for bigger rewards.

This year when I saved 3 CX pullets for breeding I ended up with a male whose Comb came in late so I will be experimenting with breeding him. It may turn out easier than I thought and that will be the direction I go in the future if it is. It may be too frustrating or above my pay grade also. I still have 2 females if they live long enough. I bought 8 straight run Light Brahmas off of Craigslist and I look forward to breeding them with C
It pretty much comes down to battle between maximum efficiency vs easier to do. I choose easier to do but if someone wanted to make a business out of it with narrow profit margins I can see going that extra mile to breed with a male CX. Some people have a knack for dealing with adversity or heavy challenges, others (like me) prefer the easiest route to success. Some people take bigger risks (like risk of failure) for bigger rewards.

This year when I saved 3 CX pullets for breeding I ended up with a male whose Comb came in late so I will be experimenting with breeding him. It may turn out easier than I thought and that will be the direction I go in the future if it is. It may be too frustrating or above my pay grade also. I still have 2 females if they live long enough. I bought 8 straight run Light Brahmas off of Craigslist and I look forward to breeding them with CX.

This year when I saved 3 CX pullets for breeding I ended up with a male whose Comb came in late so I will be experimenting with breeding him. It may turn out easier than I thought and that will be the direction I go in the future if it is. It may be too frustrating or above my pay grade also. I still have 2 females if they live long enough. I bought 8 straight run Light Brahmas off of Craigslist and I look forward to breeding them with CX.
Hi, I'm just wondering what this experiment turned out to be. Can you please shed light on it?

My Father/daughter chicks are vigorous, they are eating a lot, they hit 4 weeks old today, and I only see 1 to 2 smaller chicks with blue legs. My original plan was to keep a few with blue legs, but now I am not sure about that.

I plan on processing this batch for fry chicken, near the end of August. I am filling their feeder up 3 times a day, thank God for water nipples...........I wouldn't be able to handle watching them drink dirty water.

I have been using an oregano oil antibiotic by Nubiotics every so often in the water jugs. The oil residual seem to prevent algae and harmful bacteria from growing. Those jugs are clear with no green or brown algae growth. One bottle last me a very long time. calls for only 1ml per gallon of water.

I will move this batch to a bigger grow out pen with screen floor in a few weeks.

View attachment 3178700
In this batch there are two unusually large birds, one male and one female, but I am not sure what color legs they have because I was moving them into a grow out pen in the dark at night. Anyway, to save space, I'll only keep the biggest male and female. However, I won't keep the rooster, unless he grows bigger than my main rooster with yellow legs.

I found out that 3 month old Breese crosses can be fried or roasted like regular super market cornish x. I processed my Dark Cornish/Breese cross the other day and cooked some up with out resting them and they were tender. They averaged 3 1/4lbs. dressed at 3 months old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom