Cornish Rock Meat Bird Breeding Project

Pics

trescloudy

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
Ok I've read a lot of posts at BYC about breeding with the Cornish Rock or Cornish cross aka CX.

I've actually accomplished crossing other varieties to CX hens, that's easy. I want to try a few different ideas I've been tossing around and maybe some others I've recently come across though.

One of my older ideas was inbreeding the CX which a lot of people think is impossible but probably not so many here at BYC because of @duluthralphie and his work with the CX crosses.

I admire his determination and knowledge a great deal. He actually mated CX roosters to CX hens and hatched offspring without using artificial insemination. I have to admit I actually tried artificial insemination on CX and failed but think I could accomplish it now after watching some YouTube videos on the exact topic.

I like Ralphies dedication to making it happen natural but I think a little differently on this topic. Im definitely not against letting nature do its thing because it is so much easier. Probably even more so once the initial "f2" is made. Theoretically inbreeding CXs should slowly take the hybrid vigor out of the line. From there I think if it was done with proper care you would end up with birds that carry the desired traits initially found in the CX cross but the vigor and probably huge size come down to a more "normalized" result. Hopefully anyway.

But in my eyes it might take a generation or 2 of artificial insemination to accomplish the task.

To naturally inseminate an often used idea is to somewhat starve the CX roosters and even hens sometimes so their smaller structure will allow for copulation. This actually works but by starving the CX roosters you arent going to see their full potential as a breeding bird. I'm not saying one way is better than the other at this point because I havent accomplished either. Just stating the obvious that immediately comes to mind.

I also plan on using back crossing techniques to CX hens by using White American Bresse, New Hampshire Reds and Barred Rocks then back crossing each line separately through generations to CX hens until we get nice meaty yet still healthy birds. Not thinking it should take more than 2 or 3 back crossings to CX to achieve meaty birds.

At that point I would experiment with creating true breeding F4s and beyond and just keep trying to improve on those to use. Then maybe use those to cross with the CX inbred line.

Anyway there it is, all pretty much laid out. I'll try to get some pictures of the first birds I plan to use in the project. Cant do the NHs yet though because they are coming in September.

A couple of thoughts, I have not tried it myself.

Hybrid vigor is a real thing. But the basic genetics have to be there to start with. I think people get too hung up on "hybrids don't breed true". They don't breed true, I agree. But there is no telling how those various jumbled up genes will come together. The more chicks you hatch the better your odds of getting something pretty good.

Natural selection may be your friend. If a chicken doesn't live long enough to breed it may not have had the health you want to breed anyway.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for that input @Ridgerunner. I totally agree with everything you said in that response.

The recombination of genes in that crazy polyhybrid chicken could be difficult to harness and I might get lucky.

Was just discussing this project privately with duluthralphie and when I asked what his biggest issue was he told me living lol.

So you are probably correct about natural selection. May not be many birds that reach breeding age especially in the first generation. And that generation is the best generation for a diverse selection. So it could take a lot of F2 chicks to end up with just a few breeders.

To naturally inseminate an often used idea is to somewhat starve the CX roosters and even hens sometimes so their smaller structure will allow for copulation. This actually works but by starving the CX roosters you arent going to see their full potential as a breeding bird. I'm not saying one way is better than the other at this point because I havent accomplished either. Just stating the obvious that immediately comes to mind.
Do you also believe the fallacy that broiler parents(dame and sire lines) are normal sized or perhaps just above normal sized and that by crossing both lines we miraculously get a terminal cross that reaches commercial weight by 4-6 weeks? Let me advise you that this is not true, both parent lines are starved throughout their whole production life so they don't become obese. The Sire Grand Parent line can actually be more efficient than the terminal cross but are poor layer when compared to Dame Grand Parent line, the dame line is selected for more eggs and many are dwarfs but if fed ad libitum they can also reach market weight as their terminal offspring's, both the undesired gender of the parent line(the Dame's brothers and the Sire's sisters) are both processed as terminal broilers.

Poor things are only given 36 grams per day at 3 weeks of age and 86 per every other day at 6 weeks of age

1595632849893.png

96 grams per day at 19 weeks of age
1595633017242.png

Last edited:
The male lines are fed ad libitum until they reach about 5.5 pounds, which they do at about 5 weeks of age

1595633880246.png

1595634004599.png

After that(reaching about 5.5 pounds) they are starved and only gain about 3 pounds on the next 15 weeks(About 8.3 pounds at 20 weeks of age) and another 4 pounds at 60 weeks of age(about 12 pound males)

Now I don't think we should do the same drastic program(Feeding Ad Libitum like broilers and then starving them to death for breeding), the terminal males we get from the stores can be feed restricted as the females at hatch.

https://cobbstorage.blob.core.windows.net/guides/3450c490-bbd7-11e6-bd5d-55bb08833e29.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom