1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Rocks vs Cornish Cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by johnsons-r-us, Oct 26, 2011.

1. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Are these the same bird? I've been seeing the different terms and haven't been able to figure out if these two refer to the same bird?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, they do refer to the same bird. You also see them called Cornish X.

3. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:Thank you! That helps a lot....trying to decide what to do for my first meaties....and don't really want to go that route. I thought maybe the c.rocks were different. I'm looking at white rocks for dp birds to add to my little flock next spring...along with a couple of leghorns.

4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:Thank you! That helps a lot....trying to decide what to do for my first meaties....and don't really want to go that route. I thought maybe the c.rocks were different. I'm looking at white rocks for dp birds to add to my little flock next spring...along with a couple of leghorns.

leghorns don't make a very good dual purpose bird... but they make one of the best single purpose ones...

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cornish Rock
    Cornish X
    Cornish Cross
    Cornish Game Hen
    Broiler
    Meatie
    Rock Cross

All the same thing.

6. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:Ok, I had no idea that broiler and cornish game hens were the same thing either. And I thought meaties were any of the kinds that were raised for meat birds....like if I had white rocks that were being raised as meat birds I would call them meaties? Kind of like a term of endearment [​IMG]

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:and CX

and have heard them refered to as cornrock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by