Cornish Thread

Pics
IMG_0503.JPG
I moved the first 10 of this years white Cornish to a outside pen today. They are 7 and 8 weeks old. These will likely be butchered in a few weeks. I love them grilled as game hen size birds..... At 10 weeks old they are usually a bit too much for a one person meal.... This is one of those places where excess is a GOOD thing!

I have read that one before. Something to consider, possibly overlooked. In trying to recreate a cornish type bird, for whatever reason, there is obviously a need for oriental game blood. If you read page 11 of the above referenced book, the breed used to cross the oriental with seems of no consequence. The oriental will definitely impart the "look", but unfortunately will impart some painfully slow growth genetics. So how did the Cornish become the meat industry standard, outgrowing any other commercially produced broilers? Well, if you read the above referenced book, in detail, you will also stumble across another addition to the mix that is Cornish. Some, not all, but some white cornish have Leghorn in them. If you have ever raised Leghorns, they don't grow big, but they grow. I don't know of any chickens that you can tell apart the sexes any quicker, and they reach laying age quick, and you never have much trouble with inactive leghorns that don't want to eat. Just something to think about, this puzzle has more pieces than probably anyone knows, and there is the whole "watchful eye and sharp hatchet" of the breeder facet to consider as well.

Back
Top Bottom