Cornish VS Heritage Breed or Turken Cockerels

Thank you! I'm thinking I'm going to have to go with doing cockerels for a meat source a majority of the year for several reasons.

I forgot to mention that I am moving to Tennessee and it gets extremely hot most of the year where I'll be. So Cornish will be a very bad idea.

Freezer space will be a little tight right now (our freezer just went out and not sure when we'll be getting another) so by going with the cockerels I don't have to worry about keeping a perfect schedule to butcher as you mentioned like the Cornish.

I can hatch from my laying flock at any time and have chicks. Cornish will have to be shipped to me and that adds up quickly doing 25+ every 6 weeks.

I have 50 acres of pasture that I'm going to section a portion just for the cockerels to run on and be closed up at night.

I also play with genetics a lot so over time I can create a line that will benefit my needs a little better.
I have raised the Cornish-X years ago in So. Calif. Riverside county, very hot in the summer and the CX were fine in the Spring and Fall -- winter would be fine there, no snow, maybe not for you. Since they only take about 8 - 10 weeks you can raise them pretty easily and have them in the freezer before bad weather. After the first batch I ordered a 15 cu ft freezer from Sears. I should have ordered the freezer when I ordered the first batch of chicks! For a large family nothing is more efficient. I also hatched my chicks, the broody Orpington would sit on anything. For layer breeds, you are looking at a 2 to 3 pound broiler at 12 -14 weeks depending on how tender you want them and how you cook them.
I just got some chickens again since we are retired now. The first Barred Holland cockerel was just processed at 10 weeks, he was getting loud. Lots of pin feathers, so the rest get to grow another week. I was hoping for BBQ this weekend, but it will be store chicken and hamburgers again. Here is a photo of the one I processed.
IMG_5076.JPG

Weighed 1 3/4 pounds dressed.
IMG_5080.JPG

Dinner for 2. I cut out the back, feet & neck for freezing for stock when his fellows join him. My weight includes these parts, since I use them. Just about exactly what I used to get from my Brown Leghorns, maybe a little better breast.
IMG_5082.JPG

The ruler is 6 inches. This has the back bone removed and flattened for grilling. Depending on your preferences for white or dark meat one of these guys serves 2 adults. The red jar is a quart mason jar humming bird feeder for size scale. Same with the Morton salt, I hope everyone can tell the size of the bird with that to compare.

Back
Top Bottom