Cornish x Babies Are Here!!! ***UPDATE WITH PICS!***

I processed at 8wks and had a 8lb bird, 6.5 dressed. Insane. No leg problems and no freaky deaths.

do cornish X roosters get hackles and collars when they mature?

I'm pretty sure they do, I think I can see saddle feathers on my boys...

Quote:
Thanks Steve! Actually I ended up with 2 roos and 4 pullets, they are VERY easy to tell at this age... now my Wyandottes on the other hand, don't get me started...
roll.png

I processed at 8wks and had a 8lb bird, 6.5 dressed. Insane. No leg problems and no freaky deaths.

Mine are 6.5 live weight at 8 weeks, I have them free-ranging and on limited feed for their health, so far (except for a little wheezing) I haven't had any health problems or deaths.​

Last edited:
yeah I did 8 hours on 8 off because of my work schedule. they freeranged the back yard and had pumpkins, veggies and fresh greens. I was really impressed with how they grew out.

Just wondering if anyone else has cornish x birds around the age of mine. Mine are 10 wks. old today. I have 3 remaining and they are about 10 to 12 lbs. right now.
ep.gif

I am dreading butchering since the last time I tried it I was totally grossed out.
sickbyc.gif
Gotta steal myself up to do it again. I also did not do so well at plucking, and one I skinned, but I would like to present my fam. with a beautiful roasted roaster for din din.
fl.gif

You aren't going to keep any for breeding? I am thinking that one of mine is a girl since her tail feathers are not so wide, and her comb is not as red. She is also a bit smaller. I thought about keeping her. Not sure. But her toes turn in. I don't really like that, but I think it could be something that happened from crowding in the egg before hatching.

i have year old cornish rocks they crow breed scratch and everything look like normal birds are getting long spurs they are very smart birds i can keep them penned up for a week let them run out and they know right were to run to look for food in the dogs dishes in peak survial in a warm climate i would say the cornish rock would live far longer than any heritage breed least mine would they look for food alot harded drink from the pond and go way out to the back feild and find corn to eat always return home good birds freindly to

Mine do all the above as well, just like normal chickens in every aspect, VERY friendly, but some of them wheeze, and the males are starting to look like they are having trouble walking. Plus all six of them are very dirty for some reason.
hmm.png

ETA; mine are Cornish crosses.

Back
Top Bottom