Cornish x: Batch two

Did you get them from the same source? That's something I'd want to make note of if different hatcheries had inconsistent birds. :)
These are all from Freedom Ranger hatchery. So far, although the disparity between biggest and smallest is lar4ge, these birds have been an avg, 1ish pound heavier per week. Couple that with ZERO deaths the first month, I like this line (Ross 308) from Freedom Ranger. Guess someone's always gotta be the smallest/slowest grower.

These are all from Freedom Ranger hatchery. So far, although the disparity between biggest and smallest is lar4ge, these birds have been an avg, 1ish pound heavier per week. Couple that with ZERO deaths the first month, I like this line (Ross 308) from Freedom Ranger. Guess someone's always gotta be the smallest/slowest grower.

Sounds good!

How are they doing?
Everyone is dong great! I've been real busy haven't been posting that much. They have outgrown my kitchen scale, so weights will have to wait until postmortem. Now that I am thinking about it, they will be 6 weeks old tomorrow! I got them out of that coop they were in and onto pasture a little over a week ago, so they are lovin life. I have been feeding them out side of the tractor in the morning, leaving the door open and placing the feeder about 15 feet from the tractor/waterer encouraging them to range a bit. I feed in the tractor at night and they stampede right on in there for me to close the door. I got a feed measuring cup and have been measuring their feed daily based on the welp chart, and dividing it in two for morning and night feedings. They are LARGE! But still rigorous enough that I have had a few escape their fencing, and then even survive me throwing them back over it without breaking any legs, like a real chicken! lol
They continue to be a fun pleasurable addition to my little homestead, and seeing as how I just cooked my last chicken rom the last batch yesterday, they are starting to look delicious!

I really appreciate your interest @3KillerBs ! Knowing anyone out there is wondering what is going on if I don't update really makes me want to take the time and post a bit more. Thanks!

I think i'll go outside and snap some pics once it stops pouring.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your interest @3KillerBs ! Knowing anyone out there is wondering what is going on if I don't update really makes me want to take the time and post a bit more. Thanks!

Your birds look so healthy and vigorous that I'm following your methods closely in hope of duplicating that success when I get meat birds next spring.

@3KillerBs Here they are. Just under 6 weeks, 24 days old.
20201013_154526.jpg

the smaller ones
20201013_154549.jpg

Demanding food. You can see the water in the tractor, feeder in the background.
20201013_154605.jpg

Loafing
20201013_154515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom