Cornish X for Keeping? w/pics

They are a cross that is meant to grow fast and be meat birds - not lay eggs. They might lay, but they won't be very consistent. That is, if they live long enough. Sadly, they do make wonderful pets, just like the Broad Breasted turkeys do. They just aren't genetically bred to live long.

DeAnna

I had three 7 month old Cornish Xs until this week. Two I gave away to someone to slaughter because I couldn't eat them, and the third we had to put down. One of the hens layed three eggs LOL They have a really hard time getting around when they get big, and it's pretty miserable to watch. The one we put down got picked on and badly injured. The male was over 20lbs, and wheezed pretty hard if he moved too much.

They were started on the TSC Dumor Chick Starter (20%), and then 15% Hi-Pro Layer, Layena (16%), Flock Raiser (20%) or Dumor Layer (16%). I changed a lot because I had quality problems with the Layena and Flock Raiser. They mostly had the Dumor or Hi-Pro I think. They didn't ever get grower, and they had lots of room to waddle around inside and out. They got scratch grains too, and sometimes sweet feed. They started on layer early, and I think the extra calcium helped them. They were still quite healthy when they went, but I didn't want them to die suddenly or get sick and have to put them down rather than feed someone after taking care of them.

In the beginning I fed mine all purpose crumbles at a 15% protein but I switched ALL my chickens to Layena which is 16% because of it being meat free. Their food is also mixed with BOOS and scratch. They seem to do quite well on this and Bob, Himmler and Bridgette are pretty active (esp. Bridgette) the other two boys are very timid but half the size of the other Cornish Xs and are most active during feed/watering time
tongue.png

Since having these guys (and gal) and knowing keeping them as companions wasn't the norm I contacted Farm Sanctuary and UPC for advice on their care. FS makes their own feed mix for their chickens and they said it is almost the same as the Layena recipe and they also suppliment with BOSS and grains. Plus lots of exercise! They do limit their food, I believe I mentioned that earlier (or it could have been on of the other CornishX threads that have popped up lately). I don't limit the birds feed it is all free choice but they do get oats and scratch scattered to graze on thru the day, which they seem to really like, now that the boys have their own place (separated fromt eh others by a fence
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom