cornish X how they feather out

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
I've seen alot of pictures of cornish x with very little feathers and some with nice feathering? Is it the food rations they get? amount of protein? or where they where purchased

depends on their age... mine were sweet from week 1 -2
by week 3 - 5 they seem to out grow their feathers... they look like fat little old men with more skin than feathers
week 6 - 8 the feathers are catching up and they are actually attractive... they run like a toddler with a full diaper!
week 9.... their feathers are beginning to get dirty (well we have have lots of rain this last week and they won't stay indoors!) but they are looking a bit ratty now

I'm not sure and was as confused as you sound. I think it's a combination of all you stated. Mine feathered out very nicely by week six, I believe it was, and actually looked good. Bought mine from Meyer hatchery and fed flockraiser-green bag- the whole time. They had some free ranging, but not a lot. They weren't cramped in the pen either. Plenty of room to roam around if they wanted.

We have Jumbo Cornish Rock crosses that are about 8 weeks old. This is our very first year having chickens so we don't know much. They don't look like any other chickens I've ever seen however. They're missing all their feathers on their backside and bottom. Their skin is red. They sort of look like they've passed through some nuclear radiation or something! Does this sound normal?

Quote:
At 8 weeks ine had fully feathered (Finally) but the 4-7 week time frame they were BUTT UGLY.... Red bare skin with patches of feathers....

Quote:
perfectly normal...
big_smile.png

Quote:
perfectly normal...
big_smile.png

+1

Once you get them processed and into a nice ice bath to cool down you will pull out chickens that look like they just came out of the grocery store but taste infinitely better. Don't let that reddness worry you. CX's are really quite ugly just prior to processing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom