Cornish X... just HOW stinky?

Hi!
I found the smell was from the type of feed, not so much the bird. I think the higher ration of protein in the feed made their poopies stink more than the chick starter and layer feed does.
That's just what I found
smile.png

I will be going to JMHATCHERY.COM in the spring and getting their colored free rangers. They grow more slowly- 10-11 weeks to processing instead of 6-8. I worry about the heart attacks and the genetic engineering in the cornish x's (but that is just me, no offense to anyone who chooses other varieties! To each his/her own)
Hugs and good luck!
Christina

Quote:
How would that be for < 15 birds? Would it be plenty?

I always figure 2-3 square feet for an adult bird. BUT I also have a coop for the night too. So, I would go, 3x15= 45 square feet. You could do an 8x8, or a 6x8. I do PVC plastic pipe (thanks to some great advice on here
smile.png
and that is in 5' lengths, so I do 5x5=25sq feet and I start with maybe 20 in there, and as they get bigger split them out into two. I dont put them out until they are 3 weeks or all feathered out either.
Good Luck!
CHristina

jaku,

Do they have a coop to spend the night, or do they just stay in the tractor? If they stay in the tractor, are there any roosting perches under the white box part?

Nice looking tractor! How do you move it around? I really thinking making one of these would be worth it especially if I am going to have these chickens each year.
Becky

when they are little and not on the heavy side...you can put a small branch in there for "roosting" but when they get big...they can't jump....let alone walk very far. So a roost is not necessary...they just hunker down on the ground.

me,
g

i was wondering how one goes about moving a tractor as well....so you move it with the birds in it? They just walk with ya?

Moving it: There are wheels on the back end. You lift it up and pull it. I should have made it lighter though, as I've never had a single predator issue, but it's HEAVY!

They live their entire lives right in that coop (after they get out of the brooder.) 24-7. Meat birds don't need roosts. Not only is it tough for them to get onto anything, it can give them breast blisters. They just hang out on the ground and are perfectly happy.

It takes them about a week to fully get used to moving with the tractor. Every now and then, one gets lazy and doesn't move fast enough, but they let you know when they aren't keeping up with a loud squawk. They get the hang of it soon enough.

Here's a pic showing the wheels:
meat2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom