Cornish X leg dislocation?

chevgrl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Western Iowa
So I have posted about this chick before... I removed 2 chicks from brooder with their Cornish buddies and placed them in my bantams brooder because they appeared to be having leg problems and weren't moving around at all, I.knew they'd get trompled on because I had already lost 3 others that way. One of the chicks in removed died the other seemed to be doing better he finally started walking over to the food and water. But last night I went out and he wasn't walking on the one leg again and he will try to stand up but the leg just keeps stretching out to the side. So I went out acouple different times to move him over to eat and drink then put him back.
Again this morning I went out to do chores and He was up and around walking fine. Now again this afternoon he's down again. I know he's a Cornish and they tend to have leg problems. Since he is only 3 weeks old I hate to just let him die but i know the more weight he gains the more of a problem he is going to have getting around. I'm torn I want to do all I can for the little guy he is still about the same size he was at 1 week and my 6week old bantams are about his size.

Any Advice on how I can make this guys life alittle easier?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said his problems were only going to continue to get worse as he aged. CXs are not built for the long haul. The ones that show health issues at this young an age will probably not live to see the end of their growing out. I highly doubt you want to make him a house chicken for his recovery, so your options are limited. I'd cull the bird if it were mine. It's a waste, but you may be able to get a small batch of stock out of him, so he wouldn't be a complete waste.

Sorry. Good luck with the others.

Oh its so sad
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom