Cornish X's are getting a bad rap.

I am a newbie to raising chickens. Last year I did Cornish/X and a few slow broilers. This year I am about four weeks into Colored Rangers. I also have a few breeds for eggs.

I think all the chickens smell the same. The amount of odor is equal to the pounds of live chicken. The only difference is that the heavier chickens put down more poop per day so it has less chance to compost or dry out.

I also believe that there are several different "strains" of Cornish/X. They have slightly different characteristics. If you read some of the commercial web sites (the ones providing the eggs to the hatcheries) you can see that even within one company they have different strains with different pros/cons. Unfortunately it is probably hard for someone raising 25 birds to find out which hatchery buys and hatches which strain.

My Cornish/X's foraged just as much as my Colored Rangers, although a few folks said that mine might start ranging a bit more as they get older. At this point, other than the color, the only difference I see is that several (not all) of the Colored Rangers are aggressive toward the other chicks, especially the egg chicks. My Cornish/x would push to get to the food but they never pecked one another.

I would favor the Colored Rangers if it is true that the white birds are more prone to hawk attack.

Many of you are much more experienced raising meat birds but since this is Backyardchickens I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, you the man on meat chickens!
cool.png

I was just feeling a little frustrated on all the negative posts I have been seeing lately and wanted to shed some light on the subject. I enjoy the birds, I like eating them and for that matter I don't mind processing them. I don't have all the experience that you have. I just raise small batches for personal use.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
For what Cornish X are bred for they are superior to all other chickens. They, like any bird, have pros and cons. I agree with Jaku's comments.

Quote:
That is not a myth. That's a fact. I wasn't trying to dispel facts. My point is simply all of the bad hype, typically from people that have never raised the bird, is unwarranted.

Fair enough. It is enough for me not to use them, though. Self sufficiency equals sustainability, in my view. A system that is more sustainable on the farm is more sustainable for the environment, and that's part of why I'm doing it.

But I won't knock other back yarder's use of them, though. They have many legitimate strengths, as you point out. They just aren't my cup of tea. Theoretically speaking, at any rate. I have never raised them, and so am not nearly as qualified to judge as those of you who have.

Last edited:
I have raised three different types of meat birds this year just so I could compare within a short period of time. The comment I would like to stress is that there are many differnt lines of CX with different pros and cons!!!! This year I have raised white mountain hubbards CX, colored range birds, Dixie Rainbows, and two different Heritage Breeds side by side the first set of DR (Black Javas and Dels). My Hubbards did great and tasted great. I have had Vantress (sp?) lines and I would not order those even though that is what we always raised growing up on the farm.

1. My Hubbards (100 birds) did forage
2. they did play and scratch and act like chickens, slow chickens, but chickens
3. the meat was better than anything you could buy at the Grocery store!
4. I had no broken legs or heart problems. I only lost 2 birds after they were moved into the trailer.
4. They grew at a wonderful rate and met my goals exactly.

but

4. The colored rangers beat them hands down in taste and texture.
5. My mortality rate was much higher in the Hubbards.
6. They are messier = smellier. They have to be as they eat(poo) as much in 8 weeks as the range birds do in 12 weeks.

I think that all the breeds have a place. Each of us has different goals, and ways to get there. My Rainbows are almost 10 weeks old, so it will be interesting to see how they turn out. Richt now I am leaning more and more toward the colored range birds for next year.

I think that chicken poop smells more if the chickens eat meat. I mean that if they are on a high protein ration from the feed store, it usually has meat products in it, and it smells worse than the poop from a chicken that is eating a lower protein ration, like layer feed, that does not usually have any meat products in it, just grain. I notice this with my turkeys; when I switch them over to a lower-protein, all-grain feed at about 8 weeks, the poops smells much better. Attracts less flies, too.

a high protein ration from the feed store, it usually has meat products in it,

what kind of feed are you buying ?? I have not seen it with meat in it. The high protein usually comes from soy not meat, then they add corn to it lower the protien levels, at least around here.​

Quote:
what kind of feed are you buying ?? I have not seen it with meat in it. The high protein usually comes from soy not meat, then they add corn to it lower the protien levels, at least around here.

Same here.

Quote:
what kind of feed are you buying ?? I have not seen it with meat in it. The high protein usually comes from soy not meat, then they add corn to it lower the protien levels, at least around here.

I feed Honor Show Chow (by Purina) Turkey Starter to my poults.
"This is a nutritionally complete, starting ration for growing show turkeys from hatch to eight weeks of age. This 30% protein diet is designed to develop poults to their full genetic potential." --That's from the Purina website; the actual feed tag says something like "meat products" in the ingredient... I can't remember the precise wording and I don't have one handy. The SunFresh recipe label says "Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal Free" on it; the Show Chow label does not have this disclaimer.

Back
Top Bottom