coronation sussex hen?

cottonwallaby

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
Is anyone able to settle a bit of a debate about this chicken? I bought it at 12 weeks of age as a hen, so thought a rooster would be pretty unlikely. It's about 6 months old now and no crowing or laying yet...

He's a late bloomer. No saddle feathers to speak of yet, comb isn't huge but certainly larger and redder than a pullet Sussex at this age. Under 6 months I'd guess for age. The hackle feathers (cape) with certainty say cockerel. Is he your only cockerel/cock bird? If so he's a gentle giant making him a keeper in my mind. Crowing is part of dominance and attracting more females to herem, subservient males don't crow much. If you've older hens that could be another reason for both no crowing or jerky mating/over protective attitude many cockerels display. Older hens are keeping him in check and will train him to be a good flock master when he's of size and age.

Thank you for the very helpful response! I was almost convinced he was a he already :)
I do have a couple of slightly older and more dominant hens (this one came a couple of months later and has only recently been making attempts to get higher in the pecking order).
Could I ask another question about the temperament of coro sussex roosters? We are in a semi rural area and there are plenty of predators so a good rooster would definitely have advantages as long as the neighbours don't complain. But i also have children (7&4). Is he likely to become aggressive/ potentially harm the kids? He has shown no sign of it yet, and generally avoids being too close at all. We nearly lost him twice to respiratory infections. I finally got on top of it after giving him a tablet every morning for a fortnight and had to pin him down to do it.
Thanks again!

I think someone sold you a male and lied about the age, so you would think it was a POL pullet. Can't see the back feathers well enough in those photos to see any clear male saddle feathers, but those neck feathers are definitely male.

Back
Top Bottom