Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
Unfortunately George isn't paying much attention to his girls ATM. What with daddy daycare and then there is that lonely GLW that seems to be catching his eye

Not sure I want to find out the results of that cross.
lau.gif
They sure are flirts!! I find my girls often by the LO coop, one roo especially seems to be a big attraction!
Its to funny to see him dance and prance, they are all fainting and squatting.. but he is behind a fence.
Its been a real pleasure to cross the breeds that are not up to standard. Lots of beautiful combos.
My egg coop have free range during the day if I am out, so the birds are all over with all the other poultry and waterfowl.
I have some very interesting crosses. Many are those that just did not fit into my plans for breeding but are friendly birds.
I don't remove/cull any friendly social birds, just the stinkers! Mean birds/livestock are not welcome here.
My Easter Egger flock is very comingled. Love the colorful eggs and also does my only neighbor!
We only have 5 acres. Most of my birds stay within a few hundred feet of the house, and visit the pig, cow and goats.

We are in the midst of our summer here, so posting eggs is out, that is why I'm not too concerned about George's " roaming eye ". The blrw are still in the garden, but soon will be penned . My chooks are around the garden 2 acres. How do you go with pigs ? I thought they would eat any straying chooks. My egg laying pen consists mainly of GLW, now that my roo is dead. Im thinking of breeding them with my blrw roo.

We are in the midst of our summer here, so posting eggs is out, that is why I'm not too concerned about George's " roaming eye ". The blrw are still in the garden, but soon will be penned . My chooks are around the garden 2 acres. How do you go with pigs ? I thought they would eat any straying chooks. My egg laying pen consists mainly of GLW, now that my roo is dead. Im thinking of breeding them with my blrw roo.
LOL we are in winter here, most of the girls are not laying.
My pigs are raised with the chickens visiting. I think thats the key..

This was Bacon and lilX, we still have her, lilx. I comingle my livestock so there is no aggression.
Its important that they are well fed, Pigs can co exist with other livestock very well if taught young,.
Bacon was processed last year, and fed our family last winter.
I admit I cried. It was hard to let him go. I treat all the animals as pets. They deserve to be loved. he was my first piglet.
We do all of it at home, even the processing, I will not let another person do it, I want them to feel safe even at the end.
Hogs are very smart, they just need to learn young whats ok, and whats not!

Pigs scare me. A fellow that buys my eggs got between a sow and her piglet, big mistake! She charged at him, sent him up the rafters and dislocated his shoulder. Needless to say, he doesn't keep pigs anymore.

Pigs scare me. A fellow that buys my eggs got between a sow and her piglet, big mistake! She charged at him, sent him up the rafters and dislocated his shoulder. Needless to say, he doesn't keep pigs anymore.

OH my! I have heard some horrible stories about them, so I am always very cautious. For that matter around any livestock weighing more than me!
I am a very small person so have learned to be aware of things around me, and position myself safely.
We have raised 8 hogs so far, plan to breed this coming year. My newest gilt Charlotte is like a big pet, but any animal can change when it comes to their baby.
Pigs are incredibly smart and bond to you like a dog, but you have to be wary with them in case something frightens or angers them.
Planes flying over, stray dog in the yard.. you never know.
Yorkshires have been my favorite so far, and I loved my Hereford gilt, Roxy. She would run to the fence and drink lemonade from a pop bottle, standing on her hind legs!
She alone helped us get our first livestock trailer, and her new owner praises her nonstop because she is so tame and sweet.
I am starting to see hatching eggs from some breeders for our Beloved Coronation Sussex!!!! Chicks are available at limited amounts also. Come on spring!!!!

Yay, I hope you can track some eggs down. We have several horses and I am always conscious of the fact that if they ever get smart and discover how much bigger than me they are, I'm in trouble. I'm just the bossy little creature that everybody respects.

Yay, I hope you can track some eggs down. We have several horses and I am always conscious of the fact that if they ever get smart and discover how much bigger than me they are, I'm in trouble. I'm just the bossy little creature that everybody respects.
lau.gif
They know I feed em and scratch their ears!
Roosters, toms, ganders, drakes, peacock etc know, do NOT cross me
wink.png

My Dad and both Gramma's taught me young how to manage most livestock, so I just follow what they taught me.
Respect, kindness and NO room for aggression. I try to start with babies in every type animal so they know us from the beginning..
DH won't get horses, donkey, I had adult alpaca a while and he did not like them a bit.
He has accepted the goats, but does not care for my buck at all. (Bocephus is a real stinker!)
Surprised he likes the cow, but I think he is dreaming of steaks next year, and Ribeye is still a baby.
I honestly think DH likes the oldest gander, Gee, the most out of all our critters, spoils him rotten with lots of grains.

Back
Top Bottom