Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
Do you guys know if it is more common for a Coronation Sussex to go broody or a Light Sussex?
Would be a huge help!
Thank you
wee.gif
I had 2 Coros go broody, but none of the lights.

I am very sad to say my chicks didn't thrive. At the point I am ready to not keep the breed! They start well, and within 2 to 3 weeks lose them. I raise hundreds of birds, several species a year. Its upsetting to say the least.
This last group were brooded individually, eggs from a reputable breeder. Hatched here. Advice appreciated.

I am very sad to say my chicks didn't thrive. At the point I am ready to not keep the breed! They start well, and within 2 to 3 weeks lose them. I raise hundreds of birds, several species a year. Its upsetting to say the least.
This last group were brooded individually, eggs from a reputable breeder. Hatched here. Advice appreciated.

Have you looked into fermented feed. I only have one Coronation Sussex with 2 eggs going in the incubator today. I have raised her on FF from day one and she is very healthy. If you have an interest, here's a good all around site with the best info

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Good luck

I'm so sorry your chicks passed. My experience didn't go well either. 8 out of 12 eggs looked great on day 18, but only one made it out of the shell. (Hope- the herniated navel.)

Hope is 8 weeks now & perfectly normal - except that I can't tell the gender for sure. Looks like a pullet in shape, stance, comb size & weight, but the comb is so red. No pointy hackle/saddle feathers yet. My gut is saying male, but hoping for a female. If Hope starts to crow, I'll be looking for his new home. If you're still mourning your loss in a few weeks, pm me.

I'm so sorry your chicks passed. My experience didn't go well either. 8 out of 12 eggs looked great on day 18, but only one made it out of the shell. (Hope- the herniated navel.)

Hope is 8 weeks now & perfectly normal - except that I can't tell the gender for sure. Looks like a pullet in shape, stance, comb size & weight, but the comb is so red. No pointy hackle/saddle feathers yet. My gut is saying male, but hoping for a female. If Hope starts to crow, I'll be looking for his new home. If you're still mourning your loss in a few weeks, pm me.

I just found this yesterday. Look at post #27510 but the whole page is interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs/27500

Coronation Sussex at 9 weeks & a close-up of the neck feathers.
Any gender guesses?

It's lighter than my Easter Egger pullets of the same age. Comb looks red, but small. It's the only shipped egg that hatched, & I have no experience with this breed.

Also, it has a crooked toe. Should I do something if it doesn't bother him/her?
Thanks

Coronation Sussex at 9 weeks & a close-up of the neck feathers. Any gender guesses? It's lighter than my Easter Egger pullets of the same age. Comb looks red, but small. It's the only shipped egg that hatched, & I have no experience with this breed. Also, it has a crooked toe. Should I do something if it doesn't bother him/her? Thanks
Looks like a roo. It's probably too late to tape the toe but it wouldn't hurt to add some avian vitamins to the water .

Back
Top Bottom