Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
Welcome back eggs!  Are the Coro Sussex seasonal layers or was it a break from a molt?
About what age do they start to lay?  Mine will turn 6 months old in a few days.  The comb's been red since 4 mo old but it's winter (bitter cold with shorter days) so I'm sure that is part of the delay.

We've seen reports of your awful cold snap on the news. My girls generally slow down in the dead of winter and during a molt. Broodiness also puts a stop to production. 6-7 months is the average for laying to commence, though I have had them start at 5 . So weather permitting your girls should start anytime now.

My 2 original hens are around 4 years old. Would have 2 check records. Ours quit laying after a round worm problem that popped up after we relocated their coop along with another breed. Both coops got round worms and quit laying.

My 2 original hens are around 4 years old. Would have 2 check records. Ours quit laying after a round worm problem that popped up after we relocated their coop along with another breed. Both coops got round worms and quit laying.

Unfortunately a worm burden , disease and dietary deficiencies are just a few things that are capable of impacting egg production.

I think I may have a new layer. My Coronation Sussex may have made this beauty today. The shell color is very light for my Orpingtons, & the Sussex was in the nest at the time. (Her comb's been red for a very long time, but she's been resting in the nest boxes during the day. She hatched July 15th, so she's exactly 6 mo today.

Does the tan color look about right for a Sussex's 1st egg?

[COLOR=333333]I think I may have a new layer. My Coronation Sussex may have made this beauty today. The shell color is very light for my Orpingtons, & the Sussex was in the nest at the time. (Her comb's been red for a very long time, but she's been resting in the nest boxes during the day. She hatched July 15th, so she's exactly 6 mo today.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Does the tan color look about right for a Sussex's 1st egg?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Great looking egg!

Back
Top Bottom