Coronation Sussex Thread!

Pics
I have Coronation Sussex Roos and Hens (3 of each!). Hoping to build my flock with some incubated eggs! Love this breed. So gentle!
This is one of the Roos!

And here is the hens!

This is my one yesr old hen, Eleanor. What do you think? show quality?

Last edited:
Anyone here can you tell me at what age do you find you are able to tell hens from Roos? Growing out some of my first hatch and wondering if males develop their color areas first or is there another way to tell them apart?

KK

Anyone here can you tell me at what age do you find you are able to tell hens from Roos? Growing out some of my first hatch and wondering if males develop their color areas first or is there another way to tell them apart?

KK
My only CS turned out to be a female. I was torn on the gender for over 18 weeks! (The comb was rather pink/red, but so very small. The breeder helped answer the gender question. His line got comb color early, but the male combs were much taller.) I have heard that males get the lav neckline sooner, but I had none to compare.

Here was mine @ 6 weeks. Any other breed & I would have guessed male by comb color alone. She's a great layer, so I'm glad I didn't sell her.

Anyone here can you tell me at what age do you find you are able to tell hens from Roos?    Growing out some of my first hatch and wondering if males develop their color areas first or is there another way to tell them apart?

KK

The cockerels generally get the hackle colour / lavender ,earlier than pullets . Combs and wattles are much redder from 4-6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom